VPN assistance!

Fionadb1

No direct experience, but given that some ISPs are blocking some sites that host pirated material, ( although there are ( free ) ways and means around that ) maybe that's their target market, as part of their blurb they say.......

Travel the world and experience an Internet free from location-based censorship and content blocking

Perhaps you have other specific reasons for enquiring about VPN, and how it is a "Motorhome Matters" subject before anyone else say's it, and why you would want to use such a service, in which case other advice may be forthcoming from me or others. ;-)

No experience of the VPN you mention.

BUT I've used myexpat.net for several years (after someone here recommended it). It is eminently suitable for your proposed use.

Last year it was £7/month on a standing order from PayPal. Very easy to cancel the order when you get back to UK / have no further use for the service, and simple to resurrect when you want it again, - you get different logon and p/w though oddly, - via PayPal.

Last winter it came in very handy when Astra went "blink" and S.Spain was devoid of UK satellite.

You do of course rely on a good download speed for TV but the poor old WIFI at Camping La Marina near Alicante struggled to keep up with the scores of Brits who suddenly needed the web to watch TV.

• 1 year later...

Hi

It has been mooted that the likes of Netflix is now detecting requests coming from the netblock of IP's from some VPN providers and denying access. I can imagine this being taken further - they cannot of course detect that a request has been tunnelled over a VPN directly, but if the IP is known to be that owned by a VPN provider then they could detect this.

Personally, I think the easiest way to have a VPN connection to secure your comms within the UK and provide a UK IP address when abroad is to buy a VPN-capable router for your house. Most Asus routers support OpenVPN and clients for your smartphone/laptop are free.

Your other option is to get a Raspberry Pi, and connect this to your home network to provide VPN access - there are pre-made images for the Pi to do this - you would need to config them to your requirements and forward the standard OpenVPN port.

After the hardware purchase the cost is £0 and the bandwidth limits as whatever you get with your home broadband. Note that the speed is limited by the upstream speed at your home, so for best result you would need 'fibre' or Virgin broadband rather than ADSL.

Another solution I use is 'DVBLink' - this is a product that runs on a PC, or NAS device at your home, and talks to a TV card connected to a bog standard Freeview antenna. They provide an app 'DVBLink Threatre' available on PC, Android and also Amazon Fire TV. Its the latter that I use it with in conjunction with the MiFi in my van. You can also schedule shows to record (the PC or Pi at home does the actual recording), and stream recorded shows to the TV Stick. On the TV stick you can select the max bandwidth to use - to suit the available bandwidth that you have. NB: The trans-coding feature is hardware dependent - it wont work on a raspberry pi, works on PC servers and on Synology DS214Play and DS415Play NAS devices.

Nigel

• 2 years later...

I have also switched my VPN to FastestVPN year ago, and I must say it was one of my best decision, This VPN does have every feature which I want in a VPN. Good Encryption and the widest range of VPN servers in more than 140 countries. And because it’s a great UK VPN Server I can easily watch UK shows here in the USA.

Try FastestVPN, it supports Windows, Linux, Mac and Android. Read the detailed analysis here: https://fastestvpn.com/uk-vpn

ExpressVPN is I believe one of the best. You can choose which country you exit in. It works well (is partially tolerated?) in China which is one of the ultimate acid tests. Alternatively you could use TOR with onion routing (which is free) although I’ve doubts you’d experience the data speeds you need to make use of Netflix etc.

As I work abroad and also do a fair bit of touring a VPN is an essential bit of my kit, for my Laptop and Phone

The Primary reason for using one is the security they provide for encryption of outgoing and incoming traffic whilst on open networks, for banking and other private usage, secondary it will also allow me to order stuff from sites which could be restricted to the country you are in, as well as allowing me to watch programs like Netflix, BBC Iplayer, etc. I fully agree with veletron that some providers are cross referencing with known VPN server addresses and then blocking anything. In conclusion you can google the top 10 or whatever VPN's and check to see what they are good for and what they are not so good at, one thing to really check is how pro active they are at providing new servers in order to stay in the cat and mouse game with the likes of Netlix. FYI I currently use Nord VPN

• 4 weeks later...

I use NordVPN , last month in The Canaries I had a problem getting iPlayer , their live chat helpline directed me to a specific London server ( numbered and not blocked by the BBC ) and all was good .

BT Sports are also getting quite savvy re blocking servers as well but Nord seem to come through in the end.

I’m a licence payer and BT Sport subscriber in the UK and it galls me that I can’t access my paid for services outside the UK , the Sky model is hopefully the way to go .

Adiebt - 2019-04-10 1:58 PM

I’m a licence payer and BT Sport subscriber in the UK and it galls me that I can’t access my paid for services outside the UK , the Sky model is hopefully the way to go .

Well, since the UK TV licence / tax is for viewing any live TV in the UK, it does not apply to other countries, where you have to abide by the TV licencing laws of that country. Just because you pay the UK TV tax does not mean you should be allowed to access UK TV services outside the UK, since the uk tv tax is nothing to do with other countries

You can access BT Sports for approx 30 days without the need of any VPN / SmatrDNS service under current EU rules,on mobile / portable devices, just like you can for Sky Go. After that timescale then the device needs to reconnected to a uk ip address, for another 30 days.... all designed for visitors to other eu countries and not permanent resident.

Adiebt - 2019-04-11 8:51 AM

It’s absolutely nothing to do with paying a UK licence fee and not a “ foreign “ licence fee .

A simple username and password system linked to the BBC licence database on the iPlayer would be a workaround .

You say "It’s absolutely nothing to do with paying a UK licence fee", but then say ""A simple username and password system linked to the BBC licence database"....

So if it is nothing to do with the UK licence fee 7 tax, why use the UK licence fee database???

The UK licence fee / tax is not a subscription to watch BBC.

It is a tax to watch TV in the UK....for UK premesis only...for ANY live TV...from any country...on any device...and iPlayer....in the UK.

If the BBC were a subscription service, then the EU rules would apply and you would get your 30 days non vpn iplayer use... (see itvhub+, their ad free subscription service, that does not need a vpn for 30 days, but itvhub, the subscription free ad-supported version does need a vpn at all times, as it)

Adiebt - 2019-04-11 1:41 PM

I said access the BBC database , not the license database .

Adiebt

"BBC licence database"

Must have misread....

Also, you dont need a TV licence for a BBCId, if that is what you mean by "BBC database"...since the BBCid is purely for "personalisation".

satandpcguy - 2019-04-11 2:19 PM

Adiebt - 2019-04-11 1:56 PM

When you sign up for BBC ID they do ask if you have a licence .

Just did it, and no they did not.

But then it did picked up i was not in the Uk, but allowed me to create a BBCiD without a TV licence, from outside the UK,

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

And...?

That just confirms the issue that you said were not happy with in your original post - as the iPlayer is NOT a subscription service, you cannot access it outside the UK. Nor does it mention anything about a BBCid...well it would not as TV Licensing and the BBCid are two completely different and separate things...

"At the moment, you aren’t able to stream or download programmes on iPlayer while abroad. But you should be able to access programmes that you’ve downloaded before going overseas (usually available for 30 days after they’re shown on live TV)."

(the EU rules that allow you to access content for a limited number of days is for subscription services! BBC , Iplayer, ITV, ITVHub, All4, Demand Five, UKTV are not subscription services so not covered by this ruling...if you are not happy about this then demand the BBC move to a subscription based service.)

and again, as I am not in the UK, i do not need a UK TV Licence to watch UK TV content...all i need to do is comply with the TV licensing laws of country that I live in - which Spain does not have any form of TV licencing... so i can create a BBCID, and use BBC content, without a UK TV Licence....which is why it did not offer me the chance to say if i had one or not!

Archived