VW AUTOSLEEPER TRIDENT.

Guest SHONA

I'm considering buying a VW Autosleeper Trident (t4), t reg. Does anybody know if they come in 1.9 td or 2.4 td and if there was a choice, which would be the one to go for? Thanks. Shona.

Yes Shona you are right, they are available both in 1.9 and 2.4 versions, and although the 1.9 is more economical, I found it runs out of puff in the 60 to 70 range, so a 2.4 would be safer for overtaking on Motorways. Excellent chassis IMHO but some have found problems with clutch.

Guest Roy Flint
The 2.4 is a five cylinder engine as compared with the 4 cylinders of the 1.9 therefore should be smoother. I would go for the 2.4 any day as in the secondhand market theres not much difference in price.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Shona: There is an informative article titled "Should I buy an Auto-Sleepers Trident?" in the current March 2005 issue of that excellent Warners Publications magazine "Caravan Motorhome & Camping Mart" (just £1.75 and edited by this forum's moderator Peter Sharpe). The article highlights the good and less-good points of the Trident and will be valuable reading for you. Apparently, T4 versions had diesel motors in 1.9, 2.4 and 2.5 litre sizes (some turbo-diesel, some not), plus 1.9 and 2.5 petrol engines.

Archived