VW T4

Guest Chris Neale

Guest Chris Neale
I have to replace Glowplugs in my 1994 VW T4. Could anybody tell me where on the engine they are located? How many are there? Can you remove them with normal sockets/spanners? Should I renew all if more than one installed? I am use to dealing with petrol engines and spark plugs etc but have never worked on a diesel before. Many thanks

Guest Derek Uzzell
Glow-plugs are rather like spark-plugs in that there is normally one glow-plug per cylinder, locted in the cylinder-head and poking down into the combustion-chamber. Assuming you can get at the beggars(!), it's likely they will be removable with ordinary tools. With a 1994 vehicle I'd tend to replace the lot - if one's currently faulty it's probable the others are also on their way out. If I were you, I'd get a friendly mechanic at a VW outlet to point the things out to you and advise you how difficult the job may be. I'd also invest in a workshop manual before getting my hands dirty (see Peter Russek advert in MMM Feb 2005, page 267)

Guest Bill Ord
The glow plugs are located on the front of the engine block and are easily accessed after swinging the radiator forward. Loosen the two bolts on the top of the radiator, they are there to allow the radiatopr to swing forward. The glow plugs are easy to remove but as I remember it you will need a long reach, i.e deep 12mm socket. Bill Ord

Archived