Van Conversions - best

Malo37

Hello. Which do you think are the best van conversions available.

IH seem to be good quality but the prices are not really competitive. Looks like they are advertising used vans at more than the price when new which seems a bit excessive.

Autosleepers also look ok but not previously owned one.

Any other suggestions?

We have had a Vantage Neo for the last 7 years. Fantastic build quality, better than IH in my opinion, and superb after sales service.Consort motorhomes was set up fairly recently by the previous owner of Vantage motorhomes so I would guess the quality will be the same. When we bought it in 2014 we had looked at every other van available and for us Vantage was way ahead but then we were after a rear lounge van and that may not suite you.

We have only ever had pvc’s, six over the years and are currently on our second Adria Twin. We decided a few years ago that we definitely favoured a rear fixed bed, with a ‘half-dinette towards the front. There’s plenty of locker room and the bed provides a large storage area underneath. We like the build quality of the Twin, similar to Auto Sleeper pvc’s we had many years ago.

Regarding the base vehicle, I preferred the Renault Traffic and Master over today’s Fiat X models.

Cattwg :-D

Malo37 - 2021-03-28 12:49 PM

Hello. Which do you think are the best van conversions available.

IH seem to be good quality but the prices and not really competitive. Looks like they are advertising used vans at more than the price when new which seems a bit excessive.

Autosleepers also look ok but not previously owned one.

Any other suggestions?

Tread soft! :-) The devil is in the detail! But "best", will be what gives you what you actually want!

First, I would say, would be to decide what internal layout you want - in terms of permanent bed or convertible seating, if permanent singles or transverse double (which will generally dictate the length of the PVC, whether you want an oven, or are happy with hob only, whether you intend using the shower, or will use site facilities (so use the shower room as a toilet - so usability of the shower is a lower priority = more compact shower room = more space elsewhere), whether you want a 2 or 3 burner hob, with or without grill, whether you want wo berths or more (if only two the size/potential comfort of additional berths is less important), whether you will use the van in cold weather (so ideally need an on-board, rather than underslung, fresh water tank), whether you will use the van "off grid" (in which case I'd suggest a three way fridge in preference to a compressor fridge, because compressor fridges can be noisy - especially of next to the head end of the bed - but also because compressor fridges need additional battery capacity meaning extra weight), how much fresh water you want to carry, whether you want to have a refillable gas tank, refillable cylinders, or are happy with exchange cylinders and if cylinders what number and sizes you will need.

If you can answer those questions, I think you will find you have a quite short shortlist of potentially suitable vans, and may even find that what you want is not available - so will either have to consider a bespoke arrangement (probably at higher cost), or compromise on one or two of your desirables or must-haves to get as close as possible to your ideal with minimal compromise.

Also, how long will your trips be? Some do a lot of short trips (weekends etc. with the odd week or two here and there, others disappear for weeks (even months) on end. This has a bearing on such items as fridge size but more importantly on storage space and its ease of access.

Finally, whatever layout you decide on, I would suggest you give serious consideration to the base vehicle itself. The main reason the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen (i.e. "SEVEL") vans are so popular with converters i that they are wider and "squarer" than the alternatives, which is why transverse rear beds can be made to work for most people. My final observation would be that with any of the SEVEL variants, get one on the "Maxi" chassis. This does not mean a higher than 3,500kg MAM with its attendant driving licence tedium, but it does mean greater flexibility in loading as both axles have higher load limits than the (not in fact that much) cheaper normal 3.5 tonne van.

Then start looking at which of the available makes and models that seem to suit your requirements give the best price/quality combination. It'll take you a while, and quite a lot of sifting through the technical specs, but it will pay off. Finally when you think you've found your ideal, see if you can hire one (or a closely similar equivalent) for a week or more and see if you begin changing your options. You will be living in a small space, so anything that annoys will become magnified in use. Best get it as right as possible from the start - they aren't cheap, these toys! :-D

Warners publishes the “Campervan” magazine

https://pocketmags.com/campervan-magazine

and these articles may be helpful

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/general/choosing-a-campervan

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/how-to-choose-your-perfect-campervan

The Out&AboutLive website has a Reviews section (386 enties for ‘Hightop’ models) that may also be useful

https://tinyurl.com/azxfjwuz

The originaly posting includes the statement "IH seem to be good quality but the prices are not really competitive” which suggests that John has a budgetary maximum in mind.

John has provided no details of the motorhome he currently owns

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/IDENTIFYING-YOUR-MOTORHOME/54713/

but I notice that he asked for motorhome model recommendations about 6 years ago. He mentioned that he was 6’ 1” tall and that his height had presented problems with the driving position of a new AutoSleepers Warwick XL

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Went-to-buy-a-new-Autosleeper-Warwick-XL-today/39271/

For tall people, headroom needs to be taken into account with PVCs, particularly when the vehicle has a large roof-light with a frame that projects below the celing.

(John seems to have a penchant for a Mercedes-Benz Sorinter base, which would shorten his shopping-list considerably.)

IWe've got a Autosleeper Warwick XL and love it. It is our first van conversion and whilst I appreciate the Warwick is a bit more expensive than some of the others, there's plenty of room and the we find the quality is lot better than some.

But I guess like everything else in life it's down to personal choice.

we downsized from an Autotrail Tracker FB, to a Wildax Constellation 3. We had looked at Globecar but decided on the Wildax. There is as much lounging room as in the Tracker, we do miss the big fridge but that's about all.

It got some getting used to being smaller but its fine for us although we have not been able to do a long trip in it yet.

Why not go down the custom conversion route. I'm 6ft 4 so could never have a transverse bed in a pvc. My bed is 6ft 10 foot long and has an equal length garage underneath for a motorbike. It's only with a custom van that you will get exactly what you want rather than settling for whichever manafactures model best suits you. However I'm pretty sure smaller converters such as wildax would modify their design to accommodate little tweaks like bed length, type of fridge etc.

What is "best" is impossible to answer. As Brian says there are many variables and it depends on your preferences.

We've had a number of vans over the years, including one coachbuilt which we hated.

Our current van is our favourite, our "best" namely a Wildax Europa. When we bought it new in 2019 we had a few issues but they were rapidly and efficiently fixed and we now have a well built PVC which we rate highly

Having browsed through John's earlier forum postings, it is apparent that he is not a motorhome 'newbie' (and also has boat ownership experience). He owned a Burstner model (2012 Aero Van 700 ?) for several years, but disposed of this a while back. I think he may not own a motorhome at present and I get the impression (via my trusty crystal ball) that he may not be planning to buy brand-new. If the latter is the case, what might be considered 'best' at the moment may not be relevant.

You're quite correct.

I had a look at the Warwick XL some time ago but didn't like the fact that the driver's seat couldn't be moved back for longer leg room as the backrest is right up to the washroom bulkhead. (I prefer to drive in the slouch position)

That was one of the reasons I had a Sprinter based Burstner which was extremely comfortable to drive.

I also prefer automatic transmission.

Looking at maybe getting another vehicle and the van conversions seem a good proposition.

Given all the anti-diesel stuff I think it would be prudent to look for a Euro6 as a minimum, preferable Euro6d.

There seems to be a bit of a market bubble just now with people looking for motorhomes rather than taking the risk of booking international holidays so probably not a good time to buy.

Most of the mainstream motorhome manufacturers (UK and Continental European) nowadays produce a panel-van-conversion range. These tend to be based on a Fiat Ducato, though a few build on a Ford, Mercedes, VW, Citroen or Peugeot base, with automatic transmission available on all but the Citroen/Peugeot models. Then there are the smaller-volume UK converters...

Essentially, if you wanted a Euro 6d powerplant, a newish vehicle would be needed - but there is still a huge choice and a wide price range.

For anyone who really wants an Auto-sleeper Warwick XL but is doubtful about the seat position being right against the washroom wall, you can have an adaption to the washroom wall which provides an extra inch or two rear movement of the seat. Its like a step in the wall which protrudes into the washroom.

Another route the OP should consider looking at as an alternative is bespoke panel van fitters who will fit out the van of your choice, but more importantly, you will get what you want where you want it. A used base van can be bought quite reasonably and you can either source one yourself or they will find the model you want.

There are many companies but here are a couple of examples to give some ideas.

https://www.vanlifeconversions.co.uk/

https://sslconversions.co.uk/

I took a look at the Warwick XL Auto-sleeper.

I understand your preference for the rear lounge, a solution almost never used in continental configurations.

The thing that amazes me is that it prevents you from having any chance of loading.

I just think about a table and a couple of chairs, a tank and a hose for fresh water, a tank for waste disposal, a EHU cable, a mat.

Plus the usual things, beer, wine, juice, a bit of food...

Did I miss something ?

Max

Derek Uzzell - 2021-03-29 3:50 PM

... if you wanted a Euro 6d powerplant...

I forgot.

I have no idea if, after Brexit, the UK intends to continue following European legislation.

I'm talking about Fiat, I don't know the state of the art of Citroen and Peugeot.

The 2020 Ducatos (like mine) were Euro 6D TEMP.

I believe that the 2021 production already adopts the Euro 6 FULL standard.

I'm not sure and I don't know if they are already available, at least in the RV market.

In any case, if you are looking to buy a new vehicle, I think it is appropriate to check the engine installed.

Max

If the OP wants a rear lounge he should look at the Dreamer Living Van. Dreamer does two ranges, Fun and Select. The Select range is superb and every bit as classy as the others in the Rapido family. The Fun range is the budget brand. I've got a Dreamer Campervan XL coming in a few weeks. The Living Van also has a drop-down double bed so you don't even have to make up the beds in the lounge unless you really want to.

As with my Campervan XL the features are impressive. The wardrobe is a touch of genius and one of the reasons I decided to sell my Globecar Campscout. I loved the Globecar but hated the silly little wardrobe, which wasn't high enough for a jacket! The shower and toilet can also be separated from the main front dinette and kitchen, so that on exiting the shower you don't need to close the windows in the front of the van. The only drawback, which is odd, is the gas bottle capacity, my version has two 11kg cylinders and I'll be having Gaslow again. If I bought a Family van I'd have a refillable tank fitted underneath which would solve the problem.

As another poster mentioned I'd go, as I have, for the 4.2 heavy chassis and if you've a C1 licence you'll love the massive payload.

My wife and I are sold on PVCs. We've had coachbuilts and an A Class and the A Class was a nightmare to drive as it was so wide. We are moderately adventurous for old codgers and travel from Morocco to North Cape and as far east as Romania. In some places the width of our A Class made for shattered nerves. We bought the Globecar four years ago and driving it was no more difficult than driving my car and we could go anywhere a car can. It was so relaxing to drive. Plus little chance of damp and easy body repairs if needed. We use a brilliant swing-out bike rack and can carry two bikes on the back and still open the rear doors.

The lLiving Van is here

The Dreamer site is here https://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-dreamer-living-van.php

This is my van which also has a drop-down bed so we get a double each!

Archived