Van gone

Mickydripin

Hi all,

I have no problems and no worries with my van I do not have to drain it all down or wash it I do not have to cover it up to keep it clean and dry I spent a lot of money on it since I brought it in May last year.

I do not have to worry about Tax, insurance, MOT, or depreciation or when I can use it, my dreams have been shattered this year as it has not hardly turned a weel except a couple of weeks in Yarmouth and people asking me to move something hear and there and I do not have to answer people when they ask me why is it standing there all of the time.

AND WHY!!!!

Because I have sold it to a nice man in the north west that offered me a good price overall I have not lost a penny the only thing that I have lost is the dreams of going to France/Spain etc etc because of this Dammed Virus thanks to the bloody Chinese.

Maybe next year I will delve in to Motorhoming again Or however long we will have this problem.

Mike.

I think you gave in too early.

Sites and CL’s etc will open up again soon. The country can not afford lockdown for much longer. When things do open up, as they will, what would you rather be doing? Chancing your arm with a foreign holiday, staying in a restrictive hotel or guest house, or travelling in your self contained bubble? It is a total no brainer for me. Sure there is hassle and expense with owning a van, but the reward as far as I am concerned, far out weighs the negs.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-11-04 6:51 AM

longtemps - 2020-11-03 10:12 PM

I think you gave in too early...

If you were familiar with Mike’s earlier experiences with motor caravans, I’m guessing you’d understand why he is quite pleased to no longer own one.

Derek, I take your point but believe you me, I have had 20 year’s of horrendous problems with my previous three van’s. Twice, I have sold privately intending to pack it in because of the hassle. But, around 6 months in, without a van, I experienced severe “withdrawal “ symptoms. I would love to pack it in, save lot’s of money and potential hassle and heartache.. But I can’t. I love the life and quite frankly, after a business lifetime of staying in hotels, that kind of holiday is the last thing I need. Staying in hired cottages for a measley one or two week break, also has no appeal.

I stand by my comments, I think he packed it in too soon.

Parting with a large asset (M/H) is like becoming very old, one does become acclimatised and eventually the benefits you dreamed of are not missed at all, there must be a word for it or a phrase, perhaps its the 'must have' mentality that we all have as we drift through living, the present Covid position has caused many to accept a very different outlook which perhaps will simplify our lives.

I'm probably one of the fortunate in that being born in the 1930's I'm highly resistant to advertising.

longtemps - 2020-11-05 10:05 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2020-11-04 6:51 AM

longtemps - 2020-11-03 10:12 PM

I think you gave in too early...

If you were familiar with Mike’s earlier experiences with motor caravans, I’m guessing you’d understand why he is quite pleased to no longer own one.

Derek, I take your point but believe you me, I have had 20 year’s of horrendous problems with my previous three van’s. Twice, I have sold privately intending to pack it in because of the hassle. But, around 6 months in, without a van, I experienced severe “withdrawal “ symptoms. I would love to pack it in, save lot’s of money and potential hassle and heartache.. But I can’t. I love the life and quite frankly, after a business lifetime of staying in hotels, that kind of holiday is the last thing I need. Staying in hired cottages for a measley one or two week break, also has no appeal.

I stand by my comments, I think he packed it in too soon.

Much depends on the type of mh'ing lifestyle a person leads. Some drive to the same spot in the same country year in year out. I never saw the point of that myself and imo you may as well buy a static van or apartment, but it obviously works for a few folk. If touring countries then thats heavily reliant on health, something none of us can predict. As from next year that type of mh'ing is going to be quite a challenge, not to mention costly.

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2020-11-06 10:59 AM

Parting with a large asset (M/H) is like becoming very old, one does become acclimatised and eventually the benefits you dreamed of are not missed at all, there must be a word for it or a phrase, perhaps its the 'must have' mentality that we all have as we drift through living, the present Covid position has caused many to accept a very different outlook which perhaps will simplify our lives.

I'm probably one of the fortunate in that being born in the 1930's I'm highly resistant to advertising.

I was born in the late 50's ;-) ........I also am highly resistant to advertising :D ........

@ Bullet guy

You are not wrong about the challenge and cost of vanning on the Continent next year. But hey oh, I always see a silver lining. Firstly I can afford the extra cost, in that I am most fortunate. Secondly, I foresee less competition from Brits, for spaces on Aires, in that I am most selfish, I admit.

• 10 months later...

This is a good market to be opting out of motorhoming because values (and the ease of selling privately) have gone up during the staycation epidemic but we’re happy to keep ours, even if we’ve only been away once for a short trip to North Yorkshire. It’s our third, bought new 15 years ago and it’s been well maintained - and this summer we paid for professional valeting which has really brightened its appearance. It’s depreciation has slowed down and new models don’t appeal so we’ll stick with what we’ve got and count our blessings, even if resuming our usual Continental touring is over the horizon.

It might be different if we were having problems with it or storage was a problem so appreciate that it might well then be a different story. Each to his own.

John52 - 2021-09-13 10:37 AM

pelmetman - 2020-11-07 9:36 AM

...I also am highly resistant to advertising :D ........

Very funny :D

Please don’t resurrect old threads (this one became inactive in November 2020) unless there is a very good reason to do so.

I provided a link to it as a response to Mike’s “To buy or not to buy” posting today, but it seems to me that the reason you’ve revived it was merely to provoke your Chatterbox ‘opponent’ Pelmetman.

(I’ve frozen this thread...)

Archived