Vehicle Registration Certificate

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
I've just received my vehicle registration certificate back from DVLA after amendment. Twice I've had to send it to them to be corrected. The first time the dealer fouled up and the second time DVLA themselves got it wrong. It takes about a month for you to get the certificate back, at least they do warn you about the delay. So If you have to return your certificate to DVLA make sure your not going abroad in the next month or so. So, do you want to check yours? It should read Part 4 Vehicle Details D3 Body Type - Motorcaravan (X) Taxation Class - Private Light Goods (PLG) I assume if you van is over 3500kgs it will read Private Heavy Goods (PHG). Don

If you are foing abroad, you can take the Reg Doc into your DVLA Local Office and get an official receipt that shows the vehicle details and is acceptable as a substitute. Last time I did so it cost £3.50.

Guest Don Madge
David, When I had my Laika 400i at 4200kgs it was registred as PHG that was nearly five years ago so it might have changed. Somebody on the forum must have a van over 3500 to confirm one way or the other. Don

Guest Mike C
Most of the contributors to this forum seem to be fully aware that "Private Light Goods" and "Private Heavy Goods" are in effect each two categories with different legal meanings and Driving Licence requirements. It would clarify things if the DVLA put "Private OR Light Goods" or "Private OR Heavy Goods" on the V5 Registration Certificate. If the Motor Caravan is used for commercial purposes, normally identified as having business sign writing logos on it OR used for commercial purposes (eg. Carrying Carpets and/or used as a mobile office or workshop), then it is classified as a Commercial Light or Heavy Goods Vehicle depending on the 3500 kg break point. It is then classified as a Goods Vehicle and requires conformity with the Road Tax laws and Driving Licence laws regarding LGV and HGV licences and the age 65 and 70 medicals requirements. For the purposes of an often raised question about Covenants, a motor caravan licenced as a Private (ie. Not Commercial) vehicle is classified as a car and, unless the Covenant or Feu specifically forbids Motor Caravans, can be kept on premises under the same rules as a car. I am not trying to be a clever dick here simply relating the comments from a Solicitor and DVLA when getting answers about how my Motor Caravan is classified relative to the Feu conditions on my residence. Regards, Mike C.

Guest graham
On the covenant issue legal opinion may vary. We were interested in a property with a covenant banning caravans and took advice through the Caravan Club legal system. Their legal opinion was that in the event of a dispute a court would consider a motor caravan to be the same as a caravan for this covenant. He also advised that the neighbours could enforce the covenant and not just the original builder.

Guest Mike C
Hello Graham, I think the answer lies in your words "...for this covenant". In the case of my Feu the legal opinion was that the wording of the Feu specifically mentioned Caravan and Commercial Vehicle and a Motor Caravan being classified as a car could not be considered as a caravan. This is the main problem with a Covenant or Feu, there is no standard wording and each case depends on how the legal profession interperet the document. In our case, in Scotland, the Feu holders are now the residents of the estate, not the builders, and are the people who enforce the Feu conditions. Regards, Mike C.

Archived