Very noisy Dalbury micro-camper

michaelmorris

Keithl - 2019-04-30 9:17 PM

Eberspacher or Webasto fuel fired heater.

They sound like a small jet engine!!!

Keith.

Edit. And Yes, According to the Hillside website Diesel heating is an option on the Dalbury.

Yep would have to agree with Keith on this, we had an Eberspacher heater in an Autocruise Starblazer we used to own (lovely motorhome). It ran off the diesel fuel from the tank, although there was a cut off switch so as not to drain the fuel tank and leave you with no fuel for the engine :-( The only sound you could hear inside was a low ticking from the fuel injector, outside there was low pulsing sound albiet non offensive from its own small exhaust system. But "boy" could it chuck out some heat, in no time you were toast. I would have an Eberspacher anytime in preference to nowadays heating systems ;-)

Keith.

Edit. And Yes, According to the Hillside website Diesel heating is an option on the Dalbury.

Almost a dead cert on that! I once had a Webasto diesel heater in a van i bought the seller never even knew about.....i couldn't believe my luck when i spotted it.

They are pretty weird particularly on start up and just as you describe, like a jet engine firing up. Once going though the noise calms down but from the outside it often drew attention! Best of all they cost next to nothing to run and way more efficient than gas. They aren't exactly cheap to buy though.

steveandlisa - 2019-04-30 11:23 PM

Keith.

The only sound you could hear inside was a low ticking from the fuel injector, outside there was low pulsing sound albiet non offensive from its own small exhaust system.

Sorry, but I’m going to have to disagree with you on the term non-offensive. This morning I’m sitting up in bed looking out over a tranquil loch and The only sounds I can hear are linnets singing, oystercatchers calling and the (word removed) heater in the van next to us! Sorry the damn things should be banned :-(

The amount of ‘external’ noise that a heater using vehicle-fuel will produce will depend on the make/model of heater and the installation (eg. Has a silencer been fitted to the heater’s exhaust system?)

Noise-related comments are in this 2015 forum thread.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Diesel-Heaters/39291/

michaelmorris - 2019-05-01 6:35 AM

steveandlisa - 2019-04-30 11:23 PM

Keith.

The only sound you could hear inside was a low ticking from the fuel injector, outside there was low pulsing sound albiet non offensive from its own small exhaust system.

Sorry, but I’m going to have to disagree with you on the term non-offensive. This morning I’m sitting up in bed looking out over a tranquil loch and The only sounds I can hear are linnets singing, oystercatchers calling and the (word removed) heater in the van next to us! Sorry the damn things should be banned :-(

You should give the little car park on the A890 just north of Ardnarff overlooking Lochcarron a try. Stunning views all totally foc and the only people who might annoy you are the odd coach tour or three.....but thats only during the day. Evenings and night time you can hear a pin drop.

Archived