Visiting Croatia in a No Deal Brexit Scenario

pottypam

It seems the above website link may already be out of date. This one should work OK: http://tinyurl.com/yx8otzlt

I also think some of the information on the Slovenian Tourist Office website may be out of date regarding border crossings.

There is an unresolved border dispute between Slovenia and Croatia, so entering one country from the other may not be the most straightforward solution.

Easiest, though not most direct, should be to enter via Hungary, assuming the Hungarians are not blocking the Croatian border for fear of migrants!

Alternatively, entering from Italy at Trieste and crossing Slovenia to the Croatian border at Starod might be the easiest direct route, as it is well used and the border crossing into Croatia at Starod is well developed and reasonably new.

This route continues on to Rijeka, at the top of the Dalmatian coast, from which it is easy to turn right if you want to visit Istria, or carry on down the coast towards Zadar, Split, and Dubrovnik.

The crossings you wouldn't be allowed to use (only open to locals) are crossings you likely won't even be able to find. Judging by how many people are wary of driving on narrow/difficult roads in a MH you likely also wouldn't get there if you wanted to.

Yes, there is an ongoing border dispute but completely irrelevant to any tourist. Also, there are many, many other options beside Starod. Crossing in the summer season is going to be a problem only because you will be waiting in line for several hours along with half of Europe. Can't remember the last time anyone bothered to do a thorough search during heavy tourist traffic.

Yes we crossed the Slovenia/Croatia border twice last year and found no problem whatsoever. To my knowledge the border crossings we used did not differentiate between EU or any other persons and we just drove straight through without being stopped by border security.

Funnily though we did get waved over as we passed out from Croatia into Slovenia, which we thought odd, it turned out to be the Croatian tourist board asking us about our stay and how we enjoyed it/ or not, seemingly more interested in whether we thought the Croatians had been hospitable and treated us well seemed quite odd really that we had been appreciated!!

Bas

Basil - 2019-02-12 7:45 PM

Yes we crossed the Slovenia/Croatia border twice last year and found no problem whatsoever. To my knowledge the border crossings we used did not differentiate between EU or any other persons and we just drove straight through without being stopped by border security.

Funnily though we did get waved over as we passed out from Croatia into Slovenia, which we thought odd, it turned out to be the Croatian tourist board asking us about our stay and how we enjoyed it/ or not, seemingly more interested in whether we thought the Croatians had been hospitable and treated us well seemed quite odd really that we had been appreciated!!

Bas

But remember, with things going as they seem to be, assuming we Brexit, you will no longer be crossing that border as an EU citizen, but as a "third country" citizen.

As there are still border checks at the Croatian/Slovenian border, you registration number may be identified on ANPR, so you may not get the clear pass-through as above. Much will depend on how we Brexit, if we do, and when you arrive at the border relative to our Brexit date.

Remember also, that present advice is that post-Brexit you will need to change Europlates (if you have them) for registration plates that do not carry the EU symbol (a ring of stars, indicating an EU citizen).

We used non toll road entry by rental car to Croatia from Slovenia with no delay as a third country passport holder last June. I stopped at the Slovenian check point then after a slight brain fade I drove straight past the Croatian checkpoint without stopping. The image I still have is the guard in the booth sitting there with his hand out the window waiting for my passport! It was a genuine error but decided to not stop. I did expect to suffer the consequences on the return journey two weeks later but no problem at all. So if my experience is a guide I would suggest there should be no issues for third country passport holders. Cheers,

Only 2 of the crossings are on toll roads, Gruskovje/Macelj on E59 and Obrezje/Bregana on A2, both best avoided during summer and other holiday seasons :-D If you know how to use a map I'm sure you can find some nice alternatives. I won't give any tips as it's getting harder and harder to find smooth flowing traffic on even the most obscure ones during peak season(s).

pottypam - 2019-02-14 9:54 AM

Thanks for that, Spirou. Travelling April/May, so hopefully won’t be too busy.

Using a map and finding alternatives, as suggested by Spirou is a good idea but beware of minor roads in Croatia.

It's some years now since we went, but we decided to take to " country lanes " as short cuts - as they appeared to be on our maps - and ended up on what we would classify in the U.K. as bridleways.

Not really a problem but progress was slow, and we had to retrace our steps a couple of times.

I'm sure things have improved since then.

Have a good trip.

;-)

pottypam - 2019-02-13 11:22 PM

Not concerned about increased border checks but a bit peeved that most, if not all, the crossings are on toll roads which we do not usually use. Quite looking forward to getting stamps on my passport. In the past the dogs had more than us!

Well you can avoid using toll if you want to in both Slovenia and Croatia. In my case i was only transiting part of Croatia as 1) i'd toured there before and 2) my destination country was Bosnia and Serbia. Regards toll fee costs, bear a thought for Slovenian citizens where i was shocked to hear the cost for them is €100 pa which is seriously expensive.....especially when compared to the Swiss who still only pay SFr40 pa which is absolute peanuts for them, and it's remained virtually unchanged for donkeys years.

Croatia is beautiful, particularly the coastal road where scenery is breathtaking. But it's not a cheap country imo....they aren't daft and know their country is a big tourist attraction which draws a huge amount of wealth from tourism. Be aware of the odd drink/drive law. They have a limit but like most European countries it's much lower than UK. If you're stopped on a random roadside check and below the limit, you're ok. BUT if involved in an accident it automatically goes to zero.....irrespective of whose fault the accident was.

It's actually 110€/year for cars and MH under 3.5t, 220€/year for vans under 3.5t. In Austria it's 89,2€/year for all vehicles under 3.5t.

Still... cheap compared to Italian or Croatian tolls. Crossing Italy from Slovenia to France will set you back 63€ or going from Slovenia to Dubrovnik, will be about 28€ one way. Going back to our pre-vignette days, I was paying 25€ on what is now my daily to-from work commute. Let's just say I'm happy with the price as it is as I've done 13000km just in the past 4 months.

One more note regarding toll roads and crossings. While it is true only 2 are on toll roads, there will be a few more where toll roads might be on parts of your route. You can avoid them completely, just not that easy sometimes.

And another thing... do not, under any circumstance, wild camp in Croatia in or out of season. Even parking for a few hours at night might get you in trouble. They're not messing around as they know tourism is almost their only source of income and they want to keep their campsites busy and beaches free of instagram #vanlife fools. They don't accept excuses. If you're sleeping in the van outside of a campsite you're breaking the law. There are a few spots that are reasonably OK out of season but don't count on it.

Slovenia... the law is nearly the same however more lenient out of season. In the summer it will be nearly impossible for you to find a wildcamping spot anywhere near the touristy areas and you don't want to try it anyway. Right now you've got a few options but don't be as stupid as two VW vans were this weekend. They've parked right next to Soca river in full view of the main road with their roof popped up and chairs outside in the middle of the day. I sort of hope they at least got a ticket for driving off road as they give a bad image to the rest of us who want to spend a night in a nice, quiet place.

Let's just say I'm not a fan of #lookAtMeBeingInstagramIdiot *-)

Can’ t say we found Croatia or Slovenia particularly expensive. As a smoker, what I saved on cigs more than paid for a a very nice meal!

Don’ t use toll roads because of the cost but we are on holiday and prefer to dawdle along rather than be buffeted by lorries.

The alcohol limit is the same as we have here in Scotland, something to remember if you come north of the border.

spirou - 2019-02-14 2:21 PM

It's actually 110€/year for cars and MH under 3.5t, 220€/year for vans under 3.5t. In Austria it's 89,2€/year for all vehicles under 3.5t.

Blimey, it's gone up then! I just thought for a citizen living there it's damn expensive particularly when comparing it to the vignette cost for Swiss at Sfr40 which is nothing....bearing in mind their average income level against that of a Slovenian citizen.

pottypam - 2019-02-14 4:41 PM

Can’ t say we found Croatia or Slovenia particularly expensive. As a smoker, what I saved on cigs more than paid for a a very nice meal!

If you think their prices are cheap, venture a little further into Serbia where cigs are mega cheap. Last year i was paying around £2 for 20 Marlboro 100's superkings....UK price, £11.45. Serbia isn't in EU though so you have to be careful if you buy cigs there and pass through a border into an EU country such as Croatia or Bulgaria. You're only allowed two packs of 20 but generally you get through.

I'd definitely recommend Serbia if you have time. Some amazing scenery and the people are very friendly and helpful....even the Police!

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-13 5:21 PM

But remember, with things going as they seem to be, assuming we Brexit, you will no longer be crossing that border as an EU citizen, but as a "third country" citizen.

As there are still border checks at the Croatian/Slovenian border, you registration number may be identified on ANPR, so you may not get the clear pass-through as above. Much will depend on how we Brexit, if we do, and when you arrive at the border relative to our Brexit date.

Remember also, that present advice is that post-Brexit you will need to change Europlates (if you have them) for registration plates that do not carry the EU symbol (a ring of stars, indicating an EU citizen).

Yes but as they are outside of Shengen area I expected there might have been a more difficult border to cross, but no there was no differentiation between any of the vehicles going through the border apparent. I certainly didn't notice any kind of ANPR type surveillance either, must have been WELL hidden if they existed, something I doubt very much.

Quite honestly I have no concerns whatsoever crossing anywhere and I personally would prefer to see the back of Shengen and a return to proper border controls.

No worries about the silly number plate emblem ours don't have them we use a magnetic GB oval that we take off as soon as we arrive back home.

Also have to say we found Croatia very inexpensive.

Bas

Basil - 2019-02-14 11:11 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-13 5:21 PM

Quite honestly I have no concerns whatsoever crossing anywhere and I personally would prefer to see the back of Shengen and a return to proper border controls.

No thanks.....Schengen throughout for me where possible!

It took me almost three hours to get through the border at Moldova and that wasn't a particularly long queue either. Temps were absolutely baking and even if you have a/c that means keeping the engine running which won't exactly make you popular.

Queues are also common at both Bulgarian and Romanian borders. When i left Romania i was heading for Poland....normally i'd have cut through Ukraine but i couldn't get cover there last year so it meant going through Hungary and Slovakia border controls. I breathed a sigh of relief as Poland welcomed me into border free "Schengen Land" where i breezed in......much more pleasant!! Freedom!! :-D

Archived