WOW How much?

Pete-B

I know I'm an old Yorkshire geezer and we're not known for throwing our brass around unnecessarly but am I that much out of touch with prices and reality?

My AutoSleeper is on a Peugeot Boxer chassis and is just over a year old and the first service is due at two years old and. I wondered if it would be prudent to have the oil and filter change now! I spoke to the receptionist at our local Peugeot dealer who is very knowledgeable and she said, although she wouldn't she ask the service manager. He said, it wasn't necessary the service is two years and in his opinion it would be a waste of money. and Peugeot wouldn't give a three year warranty if they though it needed changing.

I then asked, just out of interest, how much it would cost anyhow and the reply was, just engine oil and filter £192 I nearly fell off my chair!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Peugeot , I have a boxer and a couple of years back my speedo sensor stopped working. Called into the local Peugeot dealer to ask how much to supply one, £152 ! checked on Ebay One made in Germany guaranteed to fit including postage £49 :-D My local garage fitted it for free while doing some other minor work. It most certainly needs to shop around, I do my own oil changes, up on ramps total cost 6 lires of oil and oil filter, £ 30..

Pete-B

In this September 2021 thread you asked about the engine oil for your 2020 Warwick XL

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Warwick-XL-engine-oil/58811/

and you were advised that the ‘factory fiill’ involved Total Quartz Ineo First 0w-30.

5 litres of this oil is offered in this advert for £34.99 (with a suggestion that the RRP is £68.83)

https://raceandrally.com/total-quartz-ineo-first-0w30-engine-oil-5l

Let’s assume that your Peugeot dealership would use 7 litres of that oil and would charge around £90 for it. £17.74 is quoted for an oil-filter on the following advert, so we’re now up to £108.

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-oil-filter-2-0l-hdi-blue-oe-9809532380.html

That still leaves £84 (£192 - £108) which perhaps indicates that your Peugeot dealership may have some sort of minimum labour charge, or that they might intend to spend time on ‘inspection’ tasks besides the oil/filter change. If you do plan to have an interim oil/filter change done by the Peugeot dealership, the sensible thing would be to ask for a proper itemised quotation - then you’ll know what the £192 relates to.

(An oil/filter change was carried out on my Ducato last March by a local Fiat Professional agent. The cost was £30 for labour and £33.89 for parts (oil, filter, gasket) - £76.67 (VAT inclusive). A Visual Health Check was also done, but that was free of charge.)

silverback - 2021-11-09 10:05 AM

THATS CHEAP!!!

£220 for my fiat, oil change and filter.....oil £80 (7 units) filter £15 gasket £4 and £85 labour then £37 VAT! at Northern commercials Brighouse... from one Yorky to another pay up you tight sod!! LOL :D (lol) 8-)

Jonathan

Bloomin worlds gone mad!!! :I bet your old dad used to say to you "if tha wants ought done for nought do it for thee sen lad" :D

silverback - 2021-11-09 10:05 AM

THATS CHEAP!!!

£220 for my fiat, oil change and filter.....oil £80 (7 units) filter £15 gasket £4 and £85 labour then £37 VAT! at Northern commercials Brighouse... from one Yorky to another pay up you tight sod!! LOL :D (lol) 8-)

Jonathan

If Selenia WR Forward 0W-30 was used (the oil recommended by Fiat for your Ducato) then 7 litres for £80 (VAT ex) is about what might expect to be charged by a Fiat Professional agency (and it wouldn’t be a lot cheaper bought online). However, that oil would not have been used in my case.

Assuming that the service was at the first 2-year interval (when your Ducato would be approaching the end of the Fiat warranty period) it should have comprised other tasks (eg. a software check and possible update) not just an oil/filter change.

When my Ducato’s oil/filter change was carried out, it was not a Fiat scheduled service and - as an MOT was done at the same time - many of the checks that are made within a scheduled servivce were performed within the MOT procedure.

Derek, that oil was used, it was the 1st year service (interim) The 1st service at 2 year old was an eye watering £521 in July then 2 week later the bleeding oil light came on and off and on and off! *-) it goes back in tomorrow to get sorted under warranty, I also have an extended warranty till 5 years bought when got the van from Fiat covers everything! thats why I have To suck it up and go to Fiat pros

Jonathan

Archived