Waeco CRX80 red light

thegranger

Hi

I have a 2 year old Waeco CRX80 compressor fridge. It's been flashing a red warning light suggesting low voltage. The fridge cycles through the compressor kicking in for a few seconds, followed by the fan for a few seconds, then a pause for a minute or so. Repeat, repeat, repeat. I've tested the voltage across the leisure battery. When there is no load on the system, it's reading 13.4v. When the fridge kicks in, it drops to 12.4v. My understanding is this is within the capabilities of the fridge, which shouldn't be affected.

The fridge is still cooling, but it does seem not to be as efficient.

I'm using a Banner 95901 115aH on a solar and split charge set up.

Any thoughts on how I can try to fix this? The constant fridge noise overnight isn't exactly restful :-D

Many thanks

Just realised a few technical details in your post I missed first time!

You have solar so the voltage you are measuring will be the charging voltage of the solar panel and NOT the resting voltage of the battery. Unfortunately this is a meaningless measurement unless you can disconnect or cover your solar panels and leave the battery for at least an hour with no load or charge applied.

Second, Banner batteries are notorious for 'using' water! Have you checked the water level in yours lately? If it is below the top of the plates then irreversible damage may have occurred.

Ideally you need to bench charge the battery for minimum 24 hours then leave to rest for 24 hours and only then measure voltage. If below 12.5 V then it is past its sell by date.

Keith.

Archived