War Graves

Yorkshire Tyke

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
The war Graves Commission are seeking photographs of war graves (We have several with 1 or max 9 aircrew burried in NW Holland (Friesland) one of these an american bomber has been passed on to the US war graves Contact Steve Rogers at steve@wargraves@org.uk

Steve, can I add to your post a suggested first or last night in France for Boulogne/Calais crossers. Head from Boulogne to Le Touquet (it's a pretty good road) and, just before you reach Etaples is the largest CWGC cemetary in France. It's on the right and, unfortunately, the parking layby is on the opposite side of the road. During WW1, the dunes around Etaples were the site of a vast military hospital to which injured were evacuated from the front. There was also a military hospital here after the D-Day invasion, adding to the cemetary in WW2. If it's the only war cemetary you ever visit, go there. And don't be afraid to take the kids along too. Walk up and down and read the headstones. Because almost all those buried here died in hospital, this really is where they lie. It's also why there's an unusual (for war cemetaries) proportion of officers. There are VCs, a German section, and so on. It beautiful, moving (of course), but above all, the best silent reason against war (in Iraq or anywhere else) that I've ever come across. Another 200 metres along the road towards Etaples is an excellent municipal camp site that is normally open from Easter to October.

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Thaks for the info Mel Steve works at the WGC We found out about them wanting photos from our son who is an officer in the RAF VRT The WGC have passed a letter round all the cadets forces We went to NE Holland Friesland and came across several graves - almost every village has at least one grave All of them allied airmen who crashed on their way to/from Germany One a USAF crashed with a full load after crossing what is now called the Ijsselmere in flames they missed a house, farm house and crashed just outside the village cemetry The blast blew a great rock out of the ground That rock has been dedicated as a memorial - it is the only thing that was found - it has a plaque in dutch No civlians were injured in spite of the closeness to and damage to the houses In one instance that we found there was only a single British grave in the cemetary These are all tended by the Dutch and Flowers are placed on them by the villages - On Liberation Day May 6 each year the form part of the rememberance service for the villages, as do the major military cemetaries near the large towns

Further to MelE's reply, in Normandy there is a tiny WW2 cemetry called Jerusalem at Chouain. It is the last resting place of 47 souls, killed early on during the Battle of Normandy. It was started on 10th June. Half the men came from the Durham LI - there are two chaplains buried side by side, Anglian and Roman Catholic. It is said the villagers of Chouain wanted the men to remain in their care and not be reburied at Bayeux. From Bayeux take the D6 and go towards Tilly-sur-Seulles, it is on the left side, when we went the parking was very poor. I found it very moving as, indeed, all war graves are but especially so due to being so small Annie

Thanks to everyone for this contribution. Whilst in France for Le Mans this June I intend to visit a small cemetary that contains about 80 graves, all killed on the same day in early September 1914! Amongst them is my great-uncle Will, who was 21 years old. I hope I am strong enough not to disgrace myself. MelE you are so right. Listen to any survivor of war; every one of them says "never again". Regards Neal

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Hi All I am NOT Steve Rogers. I am just passing the info on to you all Because us motorhomers travel around more than your average tourist - we get to see more things When any one contacts the WGC they are sent details of their loved ones /ancestors graves, but saddly not all the graves have been photographed and they are seeking help with this project I got the info from an Air Cadet Corps Steve Rogers wants the pic's He is the guy who requires the info You can send your info on to him at steve@wargraves.org Sorry for the ambiguity

Archived