Warning - Steam Cleaning engine compartment

Guest Mike C

Steam Cleaners and High Pressure jet washes should be used with caution when cleaning a vehicle but specifically in the engine compartment. The ECU module is often sited in the engine compartment (On the Left hand inner wing on most Fiats)and does not take kindly to being steamed or jet washed. A close friend has just made this mistake and did not protect the ECU before steam cleaning to remove the residue from a burst hose. The engine would not start and run and he was getting the engine fault light. Investigation by his local Fiat dealer found that he had "Fried the ECU" which had to be replaced at great expense. This has been raised several times on various forums along with not using high pressure jet washes on the Aluminium panels and around window/rooflight seals of Motor Caravans and Caravans. Regards, Mike C

If you STEAM clean the engine compartment you should also re-wax those areas that were previously waxed by the vehicle manufacturer to provide corrosion protection!

Guest Derek Uzzell
The classic example of the 'never steam-clean the engine compartment' car was Citroen's CX. This used complex cutting-edge (for it's day) under-bonnet electronics and it was well-recognised that steam cleaning invariably resulted in moisture entering the many and various connectors with totally unpredictable consequences.

Many years ago I steamed cleaned the engine and bay of my 1962 Ford Zodiac "classic". I used the professional steam cleaner in my works MT workshop and, pleased with the like-new results started the car and made my way home. About halfway the engine died and refused to start. In the dark with just the light from a street lamp I discovered damp in the distributer (it was soaked!). In removing and replacing the points (it was dark, remember) I failed to locate the rotor arm correctly and, hey presto, it broke when I turned the engine over! I recovered all three parts and stuck them together with insulation tape and carefully replaced it correctly. Yes, it started, got me home, and lasted a couple of days until I could get another (second hand) one. Since that day I have never steam cleaned an engine without protecting the "important" parts and I have always carried a spare rotor arm! Incidentally, does anyone remember when removing the rotor arm when leaving your vehicle was the ultimate anti-theft system?? Those were the days! Regards Neal

Guest Peter Lawton-Harris
Now Neal you are giving your age away. I remember just removing the rotor arm and not bothering to lock the doors. This not locking the doors was to my advantage at one time in my life.When I ran away from the children's homes in Bradford I could always find some unlocked vehicle to sleep in. In particular the Co-Op milk floats in Forster Sq.station this also provided me with milk for breakfast. As you say" those were the days". But were they? Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Archived