Warranty when fitting accessories

Guest Mike Chapman

Guest Mike Chapman
I am considering fitting a Solar Panel charging system to my Swift Sundance. No problems with this and have already spoken to the company who will do the fitting. The question is, have any of you experienced motor caravanners had any problems/issues with either the coachbuilder or base vehicle manufacturer concerning warranty if accessories are fitted by a company that is or is not an approved Dealership? I would be particularly interested in advice from anyone who has had a Warranty or Warranty Claim rejected or restricted on this basis. Regards, Mike C.

Guest PeteC
Not had a claim refused fro fitting things - touch wood We were refused the fitting of a pull out awning as this would have invlved drilling through a structural box section And have fitted a twin cycle rack to our back doors on the advice of the Vehicle maintenance manager. The caravan people wanted to fit a rack for two bikes on one door on the grounds that if we were sat in the van & had a fire we wouldnt be able to open the rear doors to get out. As we sit only in the front and take the bikes off when we are on site and cook we fitted our own

Guest Mike C
Hello Pete, Thanks for the reply and information. Since posting the question I have spoken to Swift and received an e-mail reply as follows. "The warranty will not be invalidated by the fitting of the solar panel. However, any damage caused by the fitting or as a direct result of the panel being fitted will not be covered". I had already mentioned that the structure will not be damaged as the roof panel will not be drilled and the panel will be fixed in place with adhesive. Regards, Mike C.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Clive
Make sure you also have a propper regulator fitted else you could damage your battery - and the warranty on this could well bounce!

Archived