Warranty

CandN

Had a boot door changed on Elddis motorhome under water ingress warranty and one of the handles to the locks has snapped. Elddis says that any repairs under warranty are not guaranteed. Has anyone else found this? It is nearly £100 for the bit of plastic

CandN - 2019-10-07 3:38 PM

Had a boot door changed on Elddis motorhome under water ingress warranty and one of the handles to the locks has snapped. Elddis says that any repairs under warranty are not guaranteed. Has anyone else found this? It is nearly £100 for the bit of plastic

It appears that the warranty applies ( on warranty replaced items ) from the date of original warranty . U still in date ?

What does the warranty actually say? A broken lock would be covered under the general warranty.

Your boot door was, as you say, replaced under the water ingress warranty. What does the general warranty cover, and what is its period of validity?

Water ingress is frequently valid for 5 to 6 years, but general warranties are frequently only for 1 to 2 years.

Without knowing the details of your 'van, its history and age, it's difficult to quote on the warranty aspect.

£100 for "a bit of plastic" does seem quite a lot, however, despite the premium such parts generally carry. If this is a quote from Elddis/a dealer to source and fit, it is quite possible that the part would be available at a considerably lower price for a DIY repair (maybe around £50).

I can't quite reconcile what you mean by "boot", and reasonably current Elddis models seem to use Thetford type doors, where there effectively aren't any handles, only buttons (though these can sometimes be troublesome).

Can you provide some more detail as to which model and year, and which door, and some help for a cheaper repair may well be forthcoming.

(Locker locks and handles aren't usually particularly challenging to replace, though re-utilising the existing lock barrel without an extractor can be awkward - if they are available, buying a new barrel with the same key code can sometimes be cheaper).

...the pictures I can see of these are not particularly clear, but the locks/handles used on the rear look like they're from the FAP or Vadi square-shaped range, of which there are a number of variants.

Replacements are normally available from the usual suspects, BUT, the ones I can see in the pictures appear to be grey (which do appear in the manufacturers' catalogues for some models), but those available aftermarket in the UK are generally either black or white, and so a replacement might be difficult to source outside the Elddis dealer network.

It might be worth a bit of an internet search, but so far I've had no luck.

Thank you. I think we will have to live with it. It is a shame because the handles on the door they took off were fine, this one was dodgy and they said they couldn't change it because it wasn't water ingress!!!!

Thanks for your help

...from reading, it looks like you've a 'van that has an expired overall warranty, but a current (longer) water ingress one.

If the new boot door is relatively recent, regardless of any legal warranty position, I wouldn't be at all happy that a part of it had failed in short order (assuming, as it seems, that it is part of the replacement).

I think I'd be having words (firm but not argumentative) with the dealer that replaced.

At worst, I'd be expecting a fix at cost to demonstrate goodwill.

CandN - 2019-10-09 9:28 AM

Thank you. I think we will have to live with it. It is a shame because the handles on the door they took off were fine, this one was dodgy and they said they couldn't change it because it wasn't water ingress!!!!

Thanks for your help

I don't know how long ago the door was replaced, but might the dealer still have the door they removed, and might it be possible to swap your broken lock for a sound one from that door by arrangement with the dealer?

Archived