Waste water - anyone used an RV sewer hose support system?

We tend to stay on sites for more than one week and often pay for pitches with a waste water drain on the pitch.

Having used the "bucket and chuck it" method for some years, I've invested in MH waste pipe cut into 1.25 metre sections and joined with threaded plastic hose joiners from CAK Tanks. The system works well as I can use sections to reach the pitch drain from most parking positions.

However, getting a downward flow on the waste pipe is always a challenge. I often prop up the waste pipe with used plastic bottles part filled with water. It's all a bit of a faff but rather than returning to "bucket and chuck it" I'm thinking about investing in an RV Sewer Hose support system such as a Sidewinder system. These all seem to be around £60 for a 25 foot concertina plastic cradle length.

It's a bit pricey for occasional use but I'd be interested to hear from any like minder waste pipe gradient constructors :-D Has anyone devised a cheap method (apart from empty bottles) ? If so what do you use?

There’s a YouTube vieo for the Sidewinder sewer support system here

and there are several websits/videos reviewing various other makes of system (example here)

https://www.bestrvreviews.net/products/plumbing/sewer-hose-supports/

There are also on-line ideas for DIY supports

https://tinyurl.com/yxuebbx7

The Sidewinder-type products are designed for the wide-bore corrugated waste hose-pipe used by RVs and the system’s advantage is that it can support a long length of hose but (as you’ve said) will concertina together so that the set of support ‘pedestals’ takes up a relatively small amount of storage space.

If you don’t get feedback here, you might try asking on the UK RV forums.

Guest pelmetman
Matrix Meanderer - 2019-05-30 11:24 AM

We tend to stay on sites for more than one week and often pay for pitches with a waste water drain on the pitch.

Having used the "bucket and chuck it" method for some years, I've invested in MH waste pipe cut into 1.25 metre sections and joined with threaded plastic hose joiners from CAK Tanks. The system works well as I can use sections to reach the pitch drain from most parking positions.

However, getting a downward flow on the waste pipe is always a challenge. I often prop up the waste pipe with used plastic bottles part filled with water. It's all a bit of a faff but rather than returning to "bucket and chuck it" I'm thinking about investing in an RV Sewer Hose support system such as a Sidewinder system. These all seem to be around £60 for a 25 foot concertina plastic cradle length.

It's a bit pricey for occasional use but I'd be interested to hear from any like minder waste pipe gradient constructors :-D Has anyone devised a cheap method (apart from empty bottles) ? If so what do you use?

Cant say I bother trying to get a gradient as water left in the pipe helps stop the drain pong ;-) ........

I just have to be careful when I disconnect and make sure I keep the camper end up as I empty out the pipe :D .......

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-31 7:21 AM

There’s a YouTube vieo for the Sidewinder sewer support system here

and there are several websits/videos reviewing various other makes of system (example here)

https://www.bestrvreviews.net/products/plumbing/sewer-hose-supports/

There are also on-line ideas for DIY supports

https://tinyurl.com/yxuebbx7

The Sidewinder-type products are designed for the wide-bore corrugated waste hose-pipe used by RVs and the system’s advantage is that it can support a long length of hose but (as you’ve said) will concertina together so that the set of support ‘pedestals’ takes up a relatively small amount of storage space.

If you don’t get feedback here, you might try asking on the UK RV forums.

Thanks Derek for your helpful reply. I've done the rounds on the internet looking for products and ideas.

Main issue with the sidewinder and similar products is that they are designed to accommodate a big right angle joint at the drain end which leaves the end 4 inches above the ground.

The items are cheap in the USA but pricey here due to P&P costs.

Maybe I'll just stick to my plastic bottle method, it's almost free!

Yes I do need to be careful when disconnecting at the waste tank end or I get an unwelcome leg shower of ...... :-D mind you keeping the on board tank empty means no niff in the van. Combined with our SOG we usually have a niff free bathroom :-D

MM,

I cannot understand why you wish to go messing about with extending any form of sewer piping.

Some years ago we had a spell in the US where using a flexible form of piping from the van to the underground was normal, the pipe has to be flexible and would therefore be built of loops in which all the gunge collects. The thought that someone wants to revert to an outdated method must be the daftest thing ever.

And where do you store several feet of potentially stinking pipe.

Will86 - 2019-05-31 11:43 AM

MM,

I cannot understand why you wish to go messing about with extending any form of sewer piping.

Some years ago we had a spell in the US where using a flexible form of piping from the van to the underground was normal, the pipe has to be flexible and would therefore be built of loops in which all the gunge collects. The thought that someone wants to revert to an outdated method must be the daftest thing ever.

Will,

Ian (MM) was talking about extending his GREY waste water pipe and not a black (sewer) hose.

He was looking at using an American RV sewer hose support system to support his grey water pipe on fully serviced pitches.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-05-31 12:38 PM

Will86 - 2019-05-31 11:43 AM

MM,

Will,

Ian (MM) was talking about extending his GREY waste water pipe and not a black (sewer) hose.

He was looking at using an American RV sewer hose support system to support his grey water pipe on fully serviced pitches.

Keith.

Keith, thanks for explaining my question to the OP.

As for storing the 1.25m lengths of waste pipe, after rinsing them out they go into a waterproof bag that stores in the full width under floor storage slot of our Adria. I got the idea from a German MH owner who stored his waste pipe sections in a large diameter pipe with end caps mounted below his Fiamma bike rack.

Archived