Water Filling without moving motorhome

Dan t smart

While on our favourite Aire in At Marie de la Mar we didn’t like to move the MH.

Wife doesn’t like leaving chairs and table, so we purchased a caravan water roller and used a electric pump.

But changed this for a decent size watering can. Perfect.

After arriving with a full fresh water tank and empty grey water tank I’d empty and fill morning and evening using a wide daily flat bucket for grey water.

Works fine and a little exercise.

I Can get 40 litres on the scooter! (lol)

No really. Strap a 25 litre carrier to the pillion and three five litres plastic bottles under the seat and on the top box.

The 25 litre carrier is useful though but its bloody heavy when full if you dont have a scooter. A folding sack barrow might be a good idea for one though.

I have a 23ltr portable FW tank, and electric (12v) submersible pump to transfer from the tank into the MH.

I use a small folding luggage trolley with the tank strapped to it to move the tank around and anything else that is awkward or heavy.

I bought the trolley from Home bargains for £5.99 folds up small enough to fit in most small lockers, Mine slips in between the gas bottles. Had it 2 years now so good value.

A watering can works for us, the spout fits in the water tank filler neck easily so no spillage. I find we can top up the fresh water tank and stay put for a number of days before needing to the empty the Grey water tank, As fresh water tank holds 100 litres , grey tank 120liters , also some water to flush toilet .

Brian

Assuming you can't reach a supply with a hose, I use a 10L watering can with a long spout (more common in European Caravan shops), so if topping up daily that's probably 30L three trips or so? For the grey water as I don't want to carry another container, the toilet cassette which I think is 15L plus on a daily basis will keep you well on top of that, the added benefit as mentioned is the exercise.

An Auto-Trail V-Line 540 is quite small (5.41m long) so interior space will be at a premium. Fresh and waste water tank both have a limited capacity of 58 litres (12.75 gallons). However the very compactness of the vehicle suggests that campsite sanitary facilities (particularly the showers) would tend to be used, reducing water usage and the need to top up regularly with fresh water.

The October 2020 forum discussion (link provided by Robinhood above) suggested plenty of practical possibilities.

Also having a PVC with limited storage space in comparison to coachbuilt vans with storage garages, I use a Colapz folding watering can and similar folding bucket. I take both to the water tap and fill them. Having emptied the watering can into the van's water tank, I refill it from the bucket and repeat the process, returning to the tap to refill both if necessary. This is quicker and more convenient than making three trips to refill just the watering can with the same quantity of water, or having to move the van off its pitch or try and park next to a communal tap just to refill the tank.

Deneb - 2021-02-16 10:07 AM

Also having a PVC with limited storage space in comparison to coachbuilt vans with storage garages, I use a Colapz folding watering can and similar folding bucket. I take both to the water tap and fill them. Having emptied the watering can into the van's water tank, I refill it from the bucket and repeat the process, returning to the tap to refill both if necessary. This is quicker and more convenient than making three trips to refill just the watering can with the same quantity of water, or having to move the van off its pitch or try and park next to a communal tap just to refill the tank.

I do similar but have found the Collapz folding watering can a bit of a faff to use so looking for another solution to that, maybe a collapsible funnel instead?

For water containers I have 2 10ltr ones from Ebay that fold down really small, ideal if space is at a premium...

https://tinyurl.com/ygo8ymao

Pete

My van has 150 ltr water tank I keep it full most of the time whilst travelling and just top up a few cans here and there, we are wild camped and Aires etc most of our time very rarely on campsites so this works for us.we use bottled soda water for drinking , keep it in the fridge, tea and coffee water from 5 litre water bottles refilled at water taps when happy with the supply, a few sterilising tablets or a drop of Milton [i know I know ] now and again keeps everything sweet ,

peejay - 2021-02-16 12:37 PM

I do similar but have found the Collapz folding watering can a bit of a faff to use so looking for another solution to that, maybe a collapsible funnel instead?

In what way? The only issue I found was that it was impossible to empty it fully with an external side water filler, easily solved by pushing a 6 inch length of water hose over the spout, which is moulded to accept it.

Deneb - 2021-02-16 1:21 PM

peejay - 2021-02-16 12:37 PM

In what way? The only issue I found was that it was impossible to empty it fully with an external side water filler, easily solved by pushing a 6 inch length of water hose over the spout, which is moulded to accept it.

I just find that it doesn't fold and unfold very well as there are big creases in the folding fabric, i suppose it will loosen up over time.

Similar to you I've added a little extension to the spout which cunningly stores in the base.

Pete

bucket3.jpg.6bdaf6268da0c7bf1af6d57082f878e0.jpg

peejay - 2021-02-17 10:25 AM

I just find that it doesn't fold and unfold very well as there are big creases in the folding fabric, i suppose it will loosen up over time.

Similar to you I've added a little extension to the spout which cunningly stores in the base.

Pete

Ahh, I don't bother trying to unfold it fully before filling. I just hold it under the tap, and as the weight of the water inside increases as it fills, it straightens out by itself ;-)

Once initially filled from a tap, it retains its shape for refilling from my bucket until I fold it away again.

shocked that some are travelling around with 150kg plus of water onboard 8-)

My tanks are 35ltr Fresh and 25ltr Grey (5.2 m long(short)coachbuilt), so as previous have a 23ltr FW tank and pump and a separate 23ltr wheeled grey tank that is placed under the drain tap which is left open when on site and closed once the portable tank is full and ready for emptying, normally once a day or after the onboard shower has been used. the tanks when travelling store in the bathroom.

rajohno - 2021-02-17 3:08 PM

You must be easily shocked. :D

We often travel with the 100L fresh tank full, but that depends on where we are going and what we expect to find in way of water.

colin - 2021-02-17 3:41 PM

rajohno - 2021-02-17 3:08 PM

You must be easily shocked. :D

We often travel with the 100L fresh tank full, but that depends on where we are going and what we expect to find in way of water.

just thinking of what i could do with all that spare load capacity!! or is it........

Archived