Water heaters for camper vans.

Guest Michael Shaw

Guest Michael Shaw
Does anyone know of a compact water heater, designed for campervans &/or caravans that operates on standard 230 volt electric mains only; i.e. without the gas or diesel heating options. Thank you.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Truma market two 230V-only water heaters. The first is a 300W product called "Truma-Therme" that has been around for some time. Very light (2kg) and small capacity (5 litres), it's quite common in caravans. I believe that standard 65mm warm-air ducting can be connected to each side of the unit so that, when blown-air heating is in operation, you get a degree of 'free' water heating as a by-product. The price listed in Truma's 08/2005 catalogue was £132.63 (VAT inc.) More recently Truma has offered the 230V-only "Electroboiler". This is a nice piece of kit; still light (3kg empty of water), but heavily insulated and with a 14 litres capacity. Current consumption is 850W and 08/05 list price was £312.14 (This is a totally stand-alone boiler and can't be linked to blown-air trunking.) If you contact Truma(UK) via www.trumauk.com they are normally very happy to provide installation/operating literature for any of their products. Caravan Accessories (CAK) Ltd (advert in MMM) also sell a wide range of 230V-only boilers, so you are really spoilt for choice! (Oh yes - don't forget John Wickersham's latest book "Build your own Motorcaravan" (Haynes Publishing, £17.99) as this should help you with your design decision making. I've got one and it's well worth the money.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Michael Shaw
Thanks for your comments & my apologies for delayed replying; possibly a dodgy computer but more likely a dodgy operator !. (I thought this thing was supposed to notify me when any new 'Posts'arrived on a query but nowt rec'd). My thinking was that in 3 years we have never used our gas water heater, only 230v mains if connected or kettle on gas if wild camping (we don't wash that much !). Therefore why buy a Truma/Eberspacher/Webasto etc. air AND water heater if we could find a small 230v only boiler (now sourced)and diesel only hot air space heating. The Eberspacher Combitronic looks very 'de luxe' but all those potentially leaky pipes & jubilee clips look scary (not to mention £1500+ depending on model.

Archived