We're Back and Ferry Help

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
Hello all, We arrived back from our trip to OZ on Saturday, it was 3C at Manchester when we landed at 0700 hrs, after the 30/35C of Bali this came as a very big shock to the system. The jet lag has not effect us too much but the cold has got to me a bit. We hope to be off to Scandinavia on the 2 May if we can get all the jobs/tasks and family visit completed by then. I have not got time to check out all the ferry options as we are pushed for time with the Peterborough Show and all the travel enquiries I have to reply to. We would like to try out the tunnel this next trip so if anybody has any tips /suggestions for the cheapest time/days to travel it would be very helpful. We plan to leave about the 2 May and return the first week in July. Is there any news on Speedferries? are they enforcing the 2 metre width rule or are they still excepting vans like our Timberland at 2.3 metres? Looking forward to meeting any "Forum Members" at Peterborough, we will be in the Press Parking area in the Silver Timberland from 2pm Friday and at the "Meet the Team" sessions in the MMM marque on Fri/Sat. Clive don't forget the Crepe machine, I look forward to them for breakfast. Safe travelling, Don

Hi Don, welcome back, I doubt you'll have much sympathy re the cold...you poor darlings... We use the tunnel all the time,book it direct as clubs etc don't get much commission. We've done 2 trpis this year already, and have figured out that you need to travel out after 5pm, back before about midday, to get the cheapest deal on the internet you need to tap in a return time of say between midnight and (Ithink) around 7am (we did a 6.30 one.) We've paid £118 and £122 respectively. When you arrive to return home, check in the night before and they will let you park up sometimes in the waiting area, sometimes in one just outside, but you won't feel unsafe either way. On arrival you may be allowed to go there and then either for a E48 supplement, or as happened to us last week, for free. This (if you want to do it- we actually preferred to sleep as planned as we had driven a long way) will still be far cheaper than booking ahead for an evening return crossing. In a nutshell, via the website, out in the evening, then back mn-7am or thereabouts, but maybe changed at the kiosk. HTH Regards, Ruth

Guest Clive
Hi Don and boss, Welcome back. Yes the crepe machine is packed and plenty of fuel available from the newly fitted bulk gas tank. I don,t think anybody guessed right what I was doing in the picture on page 29 of the April MMM but the winning caption was a cracker. But now you all know, I was cooking French style crepes! See you soon Clive

Guest Clive
The "management" has just pointed out that the crepes are one of Clive's other tallents and uses skills learnt from a little French Wench many years ago. They are intended for members of the MMM team as a bit of fun. Should anybody else have the audacity to ask for one (and we have sufficient batter) then its a pound a time for our favourite charity. (Holiday fund!)

Guest Don Madge
RUTH, Thanks for the info. Have just booked a return crossing with Speedferries for £66 for May and back in July. Also we get a free return crossing later in the year, on which there are some restrictions. Time to downsize Ruth. Regards Don

Guest Don Madge
Gary, I used Speedferries last Nov with no problems. This year I know of two people with a Hymer Tramp and a Murvi that have used them with no problems at all. Regards Don

Guest Mel B
Just be careful, when I contacted Speedferries by email not too long ago they were defintely going to enforce the 2m rule during the summer months. We booked with Norfolk Line instead for the same cost and no problems with width.

Guest Teresa
Confirmation of above, see below reply received from speedferries "Thank you for your email. Please be advised that we are only able to take a maximum width of 2.0metres on our vessel. This decision has been implemented by the Captain due to problems that we have incurred in the past." We find Norfolk Lines cheap and cheerful but who cares for such a brief crossing.

Guest Teresa
Confirmation of above, see below reply received from speedferries "Thank you for your email. Please be advised that we are only able to take a maximum width of 2.0metres on our vessel. This decision has been implemented by the Captain due to problems that we have incurred in the past." We find Norfolk Lines cheap and cheerful but who cares for such a brief crossing.

It sounds as if they could have loading problems if they are only going to enforce it on the busy summer crossings. I suppose if it is a width problem, it depends who you are alongside when space is tight. It sounds a bit risky not to declare the size of your van when you book, and then worry about being turned away, when you are all packed up and ready to go

Archived