Webasto diesel heater 5500- Benimar.

Brand New Benimar Cocoon runs perfecctly for one one hour, and than refuse to restart, he was standing beside me on a sunday, and asked for help. The green was flickering afther some restarts and that was it He had not the manual whit him. I had a eberspacher on my ford transit chausson and runs perfectly. ANy tricks are welcome of owners of the typ will be granted. We are still standing at the festival in the cold. Is there a hot help line whit webasto?

Most likely low voltage.

What was the battery voltage as the unit was trying to start?

Next time try running the engine and then switching the heater on, the increased voltage should allow it to start successfully.

The usual reason is overly long wiring runs of too small a cross section wire. If the problem persists get the unit re-wired with heavier wire and try to shorten the wire runs.

Keith.

The flickering green light will be flashing a fault code, though the fault description given in the manual may not be much help (even if you had one) - when mine wouldn't start, the fault code meaning given was "Failed to start" !

As it starts & runs (even though it stops again after an hour) I don't think this would be a battery voltage start-up issue. These things have a lot of sensors & a microprocessor control unit, so I would guess at a sensor issue. The Webasto agents plug them in to a PC running diagnostic software to find out more.

On my current Chausson, the Webasto worked OK the first time I used it but "Failed to start" on the second outing, accompanied by a smell of raw diesel outside the van. The Webasto agent found water in the combustion chamber - the result of a lack of condensation drain holes in the combustion air & exhaust pipes, apparently. A replacement combustion chamber was fitted, two small drain holes have been drilled in the pipes & it has worked OK since.

Nigel B.

Various documents relating to the Webasto “Air Top EVO 5500” appliance can be downloaded from here:

https://www.butlertechnik.com/technical_library/air-top-evo-5500-d24

As Nigel has said, the unit has a diagnostic capability where a fault is identified by the number of flashes of an Led

https://www.butlertechnik.com/downloads/Webasto_Heater_Air_Top_EVO_3900_&_Air_Top_EVO_5500_Fault_Codes.pdf

As Keith has mentioned, a low battery-voltage is commonly the culprit and running the motorhome’s motor (or connecting the motorhome to a 230V power-supply) so that the battery that provides 12V power to the Webasto heater has its voltage increased, and then switching on the heater, may indicate that the problem is due to low voltage.

Archived