Weinsberg water pump

SDHW

Hi, the water pump on my Weinsberg Carahome has stopped working. The pump ( Barvig submersible) works if it’s connected directly to 12v. The water pump icon on the control panel is not illuminated. The leisure battery and fuses are all ok. The control panel and elektroblock have both been checked professionally and are ok. I’ve managed to check the microswitches on two of the taps and they are ok. Checking the shower tap means a fair bit of dismantling in the bathroom. Is the toilet flush part of the water pump circuit and could that be a problem? Any suggestions, what am I missing?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

Logically, despite your motorhome’s Electroblock and control-panel having been checked professionally and pronounced OK, if the water-pump’s ‘in operation’ light is not illuminating on the control-panel that’s indicative. Even if some of the water-outlets’ microswitches had become faulty, the others should still cause the water-pump to run - so there should be no need to mess about with the shower or toilet at this stage.

I’m not familiar with Schaudt electrical equipment or water systems having a submersible water-pump (that I assume your Carahome has) but I’d expect there to be a relay in the system that handles the pump’s 12V supply and that relay could be the culprit.

(How old is your Weinsburg?)

SDHW - 2021-01-26 9:27 AM

Hi, the water pump on my Weinsberg Carahome has stopped working. The pump ( Barvig submersible) works if it’s connected directly to 12v. The water pump icon on the control panel is not illuminated. The leisure battery and fuses are all ok. The control panel and elektroblock have both been checked professionally and are ok. I’ve managed to check the microswitches on two of the taps and they are ok. Checking the shower tap means a fair bit of dismantling in the bathroom. Is the toilet flush part of the water pump circuit and could that be a problem? Any suggestions, what am I missing?

What model of electroblock do you have? I think you need to determine why the pump will not switch on {pump icon lit] at the control panel before going any further.

Thanks for these replies, sorry I got caught up yesterday and couldn't respond. The Weinsberg is 2016 and the elektroblock is EBL 251. I had wondered about the existence of a relay somewhere, but having been assured that there were no faults in the elktroblock, Ive been searching elsewhere - with no joy :-(

The EBL251 is (unsurprisingly) dependent on both the microswitches on the taps, and the pump being on, to deliver water.

The pump switch, however, does appear not to be a simple switch, but to operate a "switching stage" within the EBL. It isn't clear to me what this actually is, because it isn't shown as Schaudt conventionally show relays, but its function looks very relay-like, and the implication is that it is an internal component. (It exists on some EBL versions, but not on others)

If I were fault-finding, I think the first test I would do is turn on the pump and a tap, and test for 12V across pins 9 and 5 of block 6. If it is present, you can forget the EBL and look at the downstream wiring. If it is not, then the fault is within the EBL or the upstream wiring.

As you aren't getting a panel light when the pump is on (I assume you usually do - and that other panel lights such as you have still function normally?) I'd not overlook the obvious, and suspect something in the panel to EBL connection. Unfortunately, the connections on the plugs for this are not easy to get a meter on to test.

I hope the diagram (shrunk to meet post restrictions) is good enough to just about read.

Edited to add:

The manual for the EBL251 states "The power supply for the water pump is switched on and off by a switching stage in the EBL 251 electroblock via the operator and control panel connected"

EBL251a.jpg.09bfc97b750bf7b931139ce4d23e2825.jpg

Weinsberg motorhomes are relatively rare in the UK. The brand is part of the Knaus-Tabbert Group and the 2016 specification is on this link.

https://weinsberg.com/fileadmin/media/mj2015-16/pdf/en/Weinsberg_RM-KW_GB_TDs_2016-2_ebook.pdf

There were three “Carahome” models (550 MG, 600 DKG and 700 DG), all overcab designs and an example of the 550 MG is shown on this advert

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/weinsberg-550mg

I don’t think there are Knaus ‘clones’ of the Carahome modes, but if a forum-member has a similar age Knaus coachbuilt motorhome, its electrical and water systems may well be much the same as a Carahome’s.

(Just in case it matters when it comes to providing advice, I believe SDHW lives in Northern Ireland near Armagh.)

SDHW - 2021-01-28 12:25 PM

Thanks for this - how are the pins numbered? How do I identify pins 5 and 9?

See photo. The sockets are numbered and the pin locations also. Socket / Block 6 is numbered from Pin 1 bottom left and then 2 & 3 with 4 above 1 etc

schaudt-electroblock-ebl-251-ii.jpg.8d7111192fb9d301cfd0a2f2417bc468.jpg

I was posting this as you replied (and Ray it would appear) as I was doing some more idle research... ;-)

Have you got a download of the EBL251 manual? The diagrams in there reference the pin numbers. (If not, I can probably post a pic or a link - or at least a way to get a download from Schaudt).

BUT....

...are you able to post the model of Control Panel your 'van is fitted with?

Research into some of the panels fitted with that EBL indicate that the pump switch may well have a separate 12V supply in, not powered up the EBL to Control panel cable (I can't see that it is on the diagram) but sending power down it (the diagram implies that).

This would make a certain amount of sense, since that cable is probably not capable of the load required to run the pump, which is why it appears there is a relay/switching unit in the EBL which it does power at low current to switch a more capable circuit.

The reason I'm asking about the panel model is to ascertain whether there is in fact a separate 12v supply to the back of that switch, which would be a/the prime candidate for checking (given the lack of power and no indicator light) if there is.

(I'm currently looking at a version of an IT992 panel which appears to work that way - it isn't the correct version, but, combined with the EBL diagram and your symptoms, it's worth checking first).

Can you post a panel ID.

...just to clarify my thinking:

The pump is powered on pins 5 and 9 of block 6 of the EBL.

The power to these pins is controlled both by the microswitch in the taps (which provide power to a relay in the EBL via pin 3 of block 6 when one or more are open) and the pump "switching stage" which is controlled/powered by pin 10 of the panel cable connector (i.e. the pump switch).

Both these connections need to be made for the pump to run.

The panel to EBL power on pin 10 is patently controlled by the pump switch on the panel, but it isn't clear where the power to the switch comes from (the return patently goes down the panel to EBL cable).

The panel is, I think, powered by the vehicle battery (the only 12V supply shown up the cable), but panels I'm looking at appear to have a separate 12v feed dedicated to the back of the switch (but I need the panel model to confirm). This may be a branch off the vehicle battery 12v feed, but it isn't shown as such, and If this is separately fed, it may well be fused somewhere other than the EBL. I would want to check that switch feed to earth, to see if it had power.

The control panel is LT 315

Robinhood - 2021-01-28 12:51 PM

I was posting this as you replied (and Ray it would appear) as I was doing some more idle research... ;-)

Have you got a download of the EBL251 manual? The diagrams in there reference the pin numbers. (If not, I can probably post a pic or a link - or at least a way to get a download from Schaudt).

BUT....

...are you able to post the model of Control Panel your 'van is fitted with?

Research into some of the panels fitted with that EBL indicate that the pump switch may well have a separate 12V supply in, not powered up the EBL to Control panel cable (I can't see that it is on the diagram) but sending power down it (the diagram implies that).

This would make a certain amount of sense, since that cable is probably not capable of the load required to run the pump, which is why it appears there is a relay/switching unit in the EBL which it does power at low current to switch a more capable circuit.

The reason I'm asking about the panel model is to ascertain whether there is in fact a separate 12v supply to the back of that switch, which would be a/the prime candidate for checking (given the lack of power and no indicator light) if there is.

(I'm currently looking at a version of an IT992 panel which appears to work that way - it isn't the correct version, but, combined with the EBL diagram and your symptoms, it's worth checking first).

Can you post a panel ID.

Assuming that's the panel pictured below, then unfortunately there isn't a separate supply, and the power must come up via the EBL to Control Panel cable - using the vehicle battery feed. (so that's that theory gone!)

The rest of my post applies, though. You need power into the panel, the switch on to operate the pump switching unit, and at least one working microswitch operating to work the tap relay. (You asked about the various taps/flush, etc. If you use an outlet with a working microswitch, the status of the others is irrelevant, closed or broken, the pump should still work). It appears that all panel power comes from the one feed, so if other lights work, then we can assume the panel is getting power.

I assume you have switched the 12v system on before operating the pump switch, and that all other panel lights are working as they should do? (Funnier things have been done).

I'm trying to get into my head what completes the circuit that turns the pump light on. It can't be the complete circuit to the pump (since the light wouldn't be on without a tap open) so it is either the logic within the panel, or the workings of the pump switching unit in the EBL. (My money is on the latter, as otherwise a simple relay would suffice, and it isn't tagged as such).

I think it's still worthwhile checking out the pump outlet on Block 6, but my suspicion now falls on a failed control panel, or a failed (EBL) internal pump switch unit.

In reality if the pump outlet shows no power, then a probe on pin 10 (to earth) on block 7 (the panel cable entry) would indicate whether the panel is trying to switch the switch unit and potentially eliminate that, but it will be very difficult to do that with the cable still plugged in as I don't think you'll find clearance to do so. :-(

It also occurs to me that it would pay to test the tap microswitch input, but I've been interrupted, and I can't work out if that is powered with the taps on (which I think) or to earth.

lt315.JPG.80d0bc058bca6db302ed9e964b17a32e.JPG

• 1 year later...
Hi there. re the water pump caper with it not working but firing up with an external power source............was there a conclusion? I've just bought a weinsberg 650 caraloft and i've got exactly the same symptoms. please let me know how to remedy this issue.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

The original enquirer (SDHW) registered on the O&AL forums on 25 January 2021 and last logged-on on 28 January 2021 - the date of Robinhood's final posting. (This discussion is the only one in which SDHW participated.)

SDHW provided no email address that you might use to ask whether the water-pump-related problem was successfully addressed. You could try using the forum's PM feature, but I'm doubtful that, after 15 months have passed, SDHW still monitors this forum. You never know your luck though...

As you own a Weinsberg motorhome and you've said that your problem has exactly the same symptoms as SDHW's, all I can suggest is that you follow the fault-finding suggestions that were offered to SDHW back in 2021. You've confirmed that the water-pump is OK (as in SDHW's case) so the fault must lie elsewhere.

A non-functional water system effectively makes your motorhome unusable. Was the water system working properly when you bought the Weinsberg? As you've just obtained the vehicle, can't you get the vendor to sort out the fault?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is not mentioned in the manual - If the leisure batt is disconnected the tap icon on the control panel will no longer be on when the power is back. Turn the dial all the clockwise past the waste tank icon and press. Tap should now be illuminated. Also had an issue where a spade connection on the terminal block was loose causing intermittent fault. Hope this helps anyone else - it was a pain for me.