Weird ........... (Black marks on awning case)

Adiebt

Van was filthy so decided to give it some extreme TLC , foam wash , 3 bucket deep clean with wax n wash . All was good until I came to clean the awning cassette ( fiamma 45 ) which had what I thought was motorway black grime along its whole length .

The black grime however was nearly impossible to dislodge , took lots of elbow grease and a light abrasive cream to get off . My first thought was that is was rubber or plastic from close contact with another vehicle .

However , absolutely no damage to the cassette , no history of me being in contact with another vehicle or object when driving and the cassette is obviously very high up .

Sorry for no pics , any theories as to the cause ? Van is kept in storage but my neighbours left and right aren’t high enough to have caused the marking .

Very confusing ..........

(Title edited for clarity - Keithl)

pepe63 - 2019-04-25 9:08 AM

Has it been to a garage to have some work done or to have tyres changed etc, since you last gave it "TLC"..?

If so, it may have caught their shutter track?..and you have only just noticed it now.?

Good point , van has just had its base vehicle service at my preferred garage .

Like i said , no damage and i had noticed it but i thought it was just muck from a heavy spray session on the motorway .

Shall i have a word with the garage ? I wont be after anything , id just like them to be a bit more careful in future , with no proof however i guess im stuffed , lucky escape if this was the case though.

Cheers .

If you haven't done so,I would be winding out the awning, just to make sure it operates smoothly(unlatches/latches etc) and to check that everything is as it should be..

Best to find out now, than in 2-3-4 months time.

I'd also have a word with the garage(even if the awning is undamaged).

If you are a regular customer,and you aren't "after" anything (that's assuming the awning is okay), then they shouldn't really have any reason to disbelieve you..

pepe63 - 2019-04-25 12:59 PM

If you haven't done so,I would be winding out the awning, just to make sure it operates smoothly(unlatches/latches etc) and to check that everything is as it should be..

Best to find out now, than in 2-3-4 months time.

I'd also have a word with the garage(even if the awning is undamaged).

If you are a regular customer,and you aren't "after" anything (that's assuming the awning is okay), then they shouldn't really have any reason to disbelieve you..

Good advise , many thanks. , ill give it a dry run next week . Cheers !

Archived