Weird emails replying to 'for sale' ads

Mel B

I recently put some items on the MMM Internet 'Cash Mart' with my husband's email contact address. He received an email from someone interested in one of our items and, after a few emails back and forth with photos etc, we were then offered £2,500 from which we should take the amount we wanted for our item and then send the remaining money to the person's bank account. The emails were in English, although it did leave something to be desired (no he wasn't an English teacher!!!). I have heard of this buying scam before so we knew to kick it into touch once it became apparent - we declined to sell the item to the person concerned. I just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem from items they've advertised in this way?

Guest David Powell
Hi Mel B...I have ben told it is money laundering. So obviously have nothing to do with it. On the other hand some one may be trying to get your bank details.

Guest pete walker
what they do is, send you a cheque for £2500, you put into your account, when the bank/building society tell you that it has cleared,you send on the rest of the cash and a while latter you get a letter saying that the cheque has bounced and then you lose the lot, this apparently is something to do with the way that they clear cheques. pete

Archived