Western Australia

Guest Ron Huckstep

Guest Ron Huckstep
Visiting Perth Feb 2007, then hopeing to see some of W.A. Any tips/info on Motorhome Hire/sites Touring in W.A. ect: gratefully recieved.

Perth is a great place for cycling. The best City in my opinion. They have dedicated path alongside the river and the Indian Ocean for many, many miles. Super place, the most sunniest of OZ. Can be up to 40c at times. Ref M/homes don't know, should be some on the net. If no answers post another message. I'll mail my neice for info. bill h

The schools are all back by Feb, so the peak summer season is past and you should have no problem hiring a vehicle. I've done it both ways: via the Internet and also locally from a garage that hired out a few motorhomes (most Ozzies in business for themselves seem to have at least three things on the go at once). If you use the Internet, be aware that many of the well-known brand names are actually the same company (Brits,etc) - they simply change the label on the two front door panels - so don't expect much in the way of price competition. Be aware that most hired motorhomes are insured only for driving on what the Ozzies call 'blacktop' and are banned from dirt tracks (aka 'corrugateds' in Strine). Check before you book a hire vehicle whether this is likely to cramp your style - it ceratinly does in the 'Red Centre'. Alternatively rent a 4-W-D camper van - usually based on Toyota Landcruisers - quite a bit more basic but you can usually go anywhere. Also note that most rental prices do not include 'proper' insurance cover, just Third Party. For full cover you will have to pay a significant extra amount - often 50% of the base rental or even more. Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

Archived