Whale space heater problems

GressJ

Hi, Just wonder if anyone has had similar probs, maybe due to Covid (long term Motorhome storage) :-)

System now fails on either Electric, Gaz, or Both after running about 5 mins on each setting. The system fault lights indicates blocked pipes or flues. Have checked all visually and could not find the fault. Any Help please.

It might help if you provided details of your motorhome (make, exact model and its age) and of which Whale heating system it has.

https://www.whalepumps.com/rv/product-application.aspx?Category_ID=10003&FriendlyID=Space-Heating

This link provides ‘fault code’ information and trouble-shooting guidance

https://www.caravanmotorhome.org/motorhome/whale-space-heater-fault-codes/

and I’m guessing you have the 4 flashes/bars illuminated that relates to

Combustion air fault - Check external air intake and exhaust flues for blockages.

For motorhomes with Truma combination air/water heating systems having an external air intake/exhaust flue, if the vehicle has been out of use for a while insects (particularly spiders) can find their way into the intake/flue and even travel on into the heater’s gas combustion chamber. A spider’s web within the tube that connects the external intake/exhaust flues to the heater can prevent the appliance from operating until the blockage is removed.

If you cannot get your heater to run by following the advice on the link, the next step would be to check that there are no internal blockages within the flues. If no blockages are found and the same fault code persists, the problem may be something else (eg. a printed-circuit board fault) that is producing a spurious 4 flashes/bars code.

There is a very helpful lady at Whale named Hayley....who gave this contact detail on the Auto-sleeper forum (I'm sure it doesn't matter if you don't have an Auto-sleeper).

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com.

I have had this problem quite a few times. The instruction booklet tells you how to clear the fault. From memory turn the heat output control knob all the way clockwise then back anti-clockwise to the setting you want I.e. 1kw or 2kw and the heating should restart. By the way, there is never any blockage, it’s just a random fault, no idea why.

Archived