What age to give up !

sandalwood

When you get put six feet under.

I'm 77 and we're off to France in July for a month - I'm taking my bride of 72 who will make sure I don't sup too much wine and brandy.

If you park on an Aire near to me please keep the noise down until at least eight in the morning - I need my beauty sleep.........

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Works the other way around for me - or maybe it's having two dogs that ensures we wake up early and we're often in bed before 10pm.

As you get older your horizons start to shrink and you therefore find yourself less interested in anything adventuress or too far from your comfort zone - and eventually, unless previously imposed by ill health, your MH becomes more trouble than worth.  We're still adventurous enough to look forward to near Europe (France, Portugal, Germany, Italy etc) but I doubt we'll ever do Greece or Morocco or Hungary etc.

When the government make it impossible for anyone to use a vehicle which has an internal combustion engine, and all electric motorhomes will be a very distant dream.

Its a very sad state of affairs :'(

My wife decided she was too old at 63 for cramped months away in a panel van conversion so sold ours in 2014. 4 years later we are now looking at motorhomes again but my wife is adamant that we must go for something more roomy so a pvc is out regrettably. I'm 69 and raring to go as cruises and hotel holidays are not my thing.

sandalwood - 2018-06-28 1:23 PM

What age do we give up, I’m sure there are plenty of oldies, but what age is it considered too old to go on?

Nice replies please!

It is not a question of age, though the insurance may be a problem to some.

It is mainly health issues. Some will b e "old" at 70. Others will not.

We are giving up , due partly to health , or rather mobility. We have just completed 5 weeks in France and Spain. Both in 80, s and we have been to the places we wanted to in van. It takes longer to unpack the van , and put things away back home. Looking forward to just taking one suit case , and some one else take care of the cooking/washing up etc

Starting another chapter in our lives I Guess!

PJay

Seeing as women live longer than men maybe hand the driving tasks over to them at some point? Brain training and puzzles are good. Read a couple of weeks ago that vitamins pills have no actual benefit. Except for in one case (one type of suppliment). Well thats great what alot of money poured down the drain for no reason. This doesnt really make much sense cos if u eat an iron tablet how can this not provide your body with iron?? Perhaps its another case of big companys lobbying to get a bigger market share. Perhaps tescos have thought if we pay scientists to discredit holland and barret maybe people will buy more of our extortionately priced fruit. I have to buy tonnes of their raspberrys - about 7 in a packet for 2.50. (What an horrendous con). For my student daughter. Meanwhile i chomp on vitamins. Oh well luckily my partner is a nutritionist and she always puts some vegetables on my plate even though i have been let off carrots. Guess having someone to look out for you is what keeps us going. Lonliness can kill.

sandalwood - 2018-06-28 1:23 PM

What age do we give up, I’m sure there are plenty of oldies, but what age is it considered too old to go on?

Nice replies please!

What a strange question.

There's no such thing as " an age to give up " ANYTHING.

If there is - at what age should we give up eating icecream ? - Or drinking wine ?

( Or even roller skating if that's your thing )

You carry on doing everthing you like doing until you are either fed up with it - or can't do it any more.

;-)

Went to see jeremy corbyn speak at tredegar today as part of the 70th aniversary of the national health service. Aneuran beven lived here and basically started it up. Winston churchill called his proposal a pestillance on the country. But our nhs costs half of what the american healthcare costs and covers everybody not just half the country as in the US. Aparently virgin decided to have a go at running some services here but had to pull out for some reason. The nhs had to pay them millions in compensation for a failed bid. Now many treatments that were available are no longer offered and we are getting further and further behind other countries in treating cancer and other serious conditions. Corbyn was saying how nurses have to go to food banks to survive and how a special fund to help trainee nurses get thru their training has been cut. He basically said that austerity has made the ill health in this country much worse. I would suggest that many of the motorhomers still enjoying this way of life have alot to thank the nhs for in enabling them to do so and it is wrong to deny that chance to our children and grandchildren who may never know the enjoyment we get from being in beautifull places in wonderfull vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting question, when does one finish motorhoming. I had to give up our MH due to maintenance problems 2 years ago. Could not afford another one. So my wife suggested we use the car to our favourite destinations.

Just got back from Royan, 4 overnight stops in hotels and evening meals with breakfasts travelling there and back. Great time in Bois Soleil camping Chalet with air conditioning.. But, not again, total cost of travelling, fuel, and overnights £1300. Plus chalet rental.

By the way when should one stop travelling, got back on 8th July. and am 82 years old.

Amazing that your wife suggested that. I hope my partner is like that if and when obstacles get too much or when i get a knock back. Yes finding something you want to do is only half the battle the other half is having someone to take up the slack when you dont feel your heart is in it. What a lovely wife! Perhaps sometimes its them that have the sense of adventure and romance while us men get weary with all the technical aspects. Limitations can also grind you down and they are there to see glass half full and not empty.

Thanks Derek, We have also traded our 2014 Burstner nexxo55 for the new 2018 680g and upsized the weight to 3850 I had to have a medical and eye test only cost £50.00 so I now have a good payload and can carry my moped and all our gear or the 2 electric bikes instead of the moped. drop down bed only so loads of space for company when we are abroad for a beer or two. Fesspark

Depends how you tour i suppose. I;ve always ventured off to East European countries. However i'm not getting younger and this years tour will take in 15 different countries. In a PVC with temps of 30+c and no air-con, i've found it physically harder going than previous years.

I wouldn't be happy with tootling around France or Spain but will probably cut back a bit on distance drives and the bottom line is it's each to their own.....so give up when you've had enough!

couldn,t agree more, I could have given up years ago but I didn,t Never let the bastards grind you down, I have been a lukemia sufferer for 19 years, and now on Chemo tablets, 6 years ago Prostate cancer, 36 doses of radiotherepy and then 2 years Hormone injections, trapped nerves in my spine and 4 monthly spinal pain injections, but you have to fight it, my wife is 4 years older than I am and hard as nails ,keeps me on my toes so yes it is someone else who decides when to give up, Fesspark

Yes i went for a prostrate cancer scan a couple of weeks ago. There was so much advertising about awareness. When i went he said you had to have 2 of the symptoms - wanting to go alot more or not so much coming out. So he wouldnt do it. Tiredness can be a symptom of lifestyle. Lethargy - not much to live for. I said i had been feeling more tired than usual but all my bloods came back ok. Think having a nagging partner can induce a feeling of lethargy. But women are strange they will support you till the end if you have motivation. Mind you was reading that satre had to practice every day separating himself from the effects others had on him. So either get an interest that motivates you and a good hearted wife - or become an existentialist.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'd agree with all that's been said.

We're both in our 70's - me 76 and my wife 72. Just two weeks ago we returned from a 6 week trip to Hungary via France, Germany and Austria. On the way back we included Slovenia. A total of some 2,700 miles.

On 2 September we're off via Caen to Spain taking 6 weeks to do so. We've been doing similar trips now for many years. Yes, I certainly can't drive 300 miles pus in a day as I used to and the max cruising speed is no more than 60MPH. We take plenty of breaks and sometimes have a "power snooze" for 10 - 15 minutes (it really works).. We also stop at sites for a couple of days or longer.

Health wise - well we've both had cancer. My wife had ovarian in 2009 and me prostate cancer in 2013 - plus of course other problems which I'll not bore you all with.

Fesspark - I admire you! Oh and I envy you your choice of the new van. We recently down sized from a largish Auto Trail to an Auto Sleeper Broadway. We miss the beds and where do we put all our stuff! The Burstner 680G ticks all the boxes for us - just need the money now.

So just keep on going folks while you can!

• 2 weeks later...
The inlaws have a Globecar and we have just completed a 5000km trip up to Lofoten and Northern Sweden. They are aged 82 and 88 and follow us in our camper. Last year we drove from Sweden to France and Italy and I was a bit nervous having them tagging along on the autobahn but all went really well and we were away for 5 weeks. So age is not really an issue but of course your health is the deciding factor. My own parents only made it to 76 and for the last 5 or so years they could not travel much at all.

Tracker - 2018-06-28 3:36 PM

When you can no longer balance on one foot on a concrete block without falling off!

Try balancing on one foot with your eyes closed. Turns out to be an eye opener,regarding age and balance *-)

Rgds

Just to cheer everyone up !

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10795230/Standing-on-one-leg-may-predict-which-53-year-olds-at-risk-of-early-death.html

Archived