What size generator?

weldted

This is not a debate about the pro's and con's but we are shipping our van to the USA for an extended holiday and are looking at ways of running the air con. Have looked at a step up transformer but although the voltage is raised from 110 to 230 the cycles will be 60 compared to the UK's 50.

If your intention is to run a generator on camp sites you should be prepared to be sent to the far corners well away from those who don't use them. One of the first questions we were asked is ... do you intend to use your generator ... we always said no and were parked near the facilities.

Problem with any generator is size relative to output, and what currentl you need for the days use. Simple lighting and running the TV will be ok'ish on a small generator . Some very quiet Honda models available.

If you are thinking microwave, hair drier, and mega charging a battery bank, you may find that the physical size and weight of the generator is too much.

It's all about watts !

With regard to air con, your instructions will give the wattage, maybe extra watts required for other items. Also you will need to be aware that stating some appliances with motors need two to three times their running watts, to initiate a start to get the motor running, if the this is not catered for, the motor does not turn, stalls and can on some appliances burn out. People with home generators, sometimes overlook this issue with fridge freezers,

. Costly repairs !

Rgds

Hi my Autosleeper Luxor came equipped with a 2.2kw honda generator which would comfortably run the roof mounted Domitec air con. It was an older style generator the same as I had for use on building sites ,quite noisy and a fair bit of vibration so little used. Would think that a Honda I20 2.2kw inverter generator would do the job for you. You could try hiring one for a day to see if it works as you want it to.

Regards David

As I said at the start the protocol of running generators is not relevant where we will be traveling generators are the norm as no mains. Large American RV's with 7.5 kW + Onans are not going to notice a Honda or similar. We're looking Honda Eu2i but need to source it here as the US ones are 110 volt. We hired an RV last time we went everybody ran their genny for two hours am and early evening to cool the van for a better sleep.

I have an Honda 100 i which I thought was a must have item used it for no more than 3 hours in the 20 years I have had it, it is practically useless other than for battery charging , about 4.5 amps output, I should have bought the 200 i that at least would have given me more amps, I do not like gennies so the one I have just sits in my garage doing nothing.

Will86 - 2019-10-09 6:15 PM

If your intention is to run a generator on camp sites you should be prepared to be sent to the far corners well away from those who don't use them. One of the first questions we were asked is ... do you intend to use your generator ... we always said no and were parked near the facilities.

he is going to America where everyone uses generators not Europe or the UK.

I agree with buy one in the USA use it whilst you are there then sell it before you leave. Far cheaper over there.

Rayjsj - 2019-10-09 11:31 PM

I agree with buy one in the USA use it whilst you are there then sell it before you leave. Far cheaper over there.

But will an American generator not be 110 volts at 60 Hz, the same as their mains supply?

Think about it, why would Americans want a 240 volt 50 Hz generator when they had nothing to run off it?

And then Ted would have exactly the same problem as he currently does, namely his MH will not run off 110 volts at 60 Hz!

Keith.

1. Examine the aircon rating plate or manual to determine supply requirements.

2. My gut feeling is that in order to cover the motor starting surge,you will require a generator of at least twice the VA demand of the aircon. This is in some agreement with the advice previously given by Tony and David who offers advice based on his own experience, however Tony did not make the distinction between VA and Watts. VA is important here. It gets technical but with a motor (inductive) load the current drawn can be as much as 25% higher than that suggested by the Watts rating.

3. Unless your aircon is dual voltage and rated for 50-60Hz buy in the UK, as Keith has stressed it will be difficult to buy a 50Hz 230V generator in the USA.

Alan

Yes, it's more complicated than I first thought. All the generators I've researched in the US have only 110v 60hz and 12v DC. So taking a UK generator seems the best solution, except they only take less than a gallon of fuel and run for 4-10 hrs dependant on load. (Honda e20i which seems he best compromise)

If you have an lpg tank, you can buy ones that run on lpg so could leave on for much longer.

Dometic have an inverter kit, DSPT12 and a 2500 watt generator, TEC 30 EV, for their units, so that may give you some idea of power requirements.

If you need to consider powerful battery chargers Victron have units that operate on 50/ 60 cycles 110 / 230 volts.

Mike

Hi, thinking about your worries about your gearbox on another thread reminded me of a chat with a Danish motorhomer last month when we were in Germany. On the back of his Kabe tag axel motorhome was a list of all the places he had visited in the U.S.A. He told me he shipped his motorhome from Hamburg to Baltimore and spent seven months touring, then his daughter and her family spent two months touring before shipping the motorhome back.

He had two problems whilst away, the major one being that his wife had a heart attack. She was flown by helicopter to a hospital where she stayed for two weeks and was then flown back to where the motorhome was by private airplane. This was all payed for by the health insurance he had taken out. He stressed that when in the U.S.A. GOOD insurance is a must .

The second problem, on a lighter note, was that many of the americans he met on campsites were enthralled by his, to them, "compact" motorhome, wishing to have a look inside.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards David

Archived