Whats happened to Romahome ?

Rayjsj

After answering an enquiry about a Romahome R40 on the forum, i thought I would look up how much they cost 'New' now, as the last time I looked at one was a couple of years ago, Looked in the MMM new vans price listing......not there. The R10 and R30 are there, but no R20/25/40 ? as far as I know Citroen are still making the Dispatch, which these vans are based on. So Why ? have read nothing in the Motorhome Press about them. Shame, as they are a 'monocoque' construction.which I particularly like, and think they are a great Solo or two berth van. even considered an R40 when it first came out.

Any one know ? Ray

R20/25 are on the 'Berlingo'

R40 is on the Dispatch.

colin - 2014-02-22 8:11 PM

I vaguely recall there being a problem with converting some newer Citroen vans and it was only offered on secondhand vans, was the dispatch one of them? I don't think the Dispatch is available as a chassis cab.

You are right 'other' Colin, here's the problem!

http://www.romahome.com/latest-news/romahome-changes/

Cheers,

Colin (T).

This from another forum helps to explain.

Hi all

Happy to respond on behalf of the Freeborn Group.

The starting point to the changes we've recently made was two fold. Firstly the lease on the IOW factory had expired and we were reluctant to renew it as the condition of the property was poor and the landlord wasn't prepared to invest the sums needed to bring it up to an acceptable standard. Secondly, Citroen advised us that they could no longer supply Berlingo platform cabs following the introduction of ESP which they explained would adversely affect the driving characteristics of our motor homes.

At the same time as we heard this 'bombshell' from Citroen France Brian's son Daniel acquired the property next door to our factory on the Island in his new company name of Addabak Ltd. They had won an overseas contract to convert containers into safety pods for the Middle East but had substantial unused capacity in their new premises and also needed to employ staff experienced in GRP and manufacturing. Brian approached the Freeborn board on behalf of his son and suggested Addabak could take on all Romahome production.

We quickly saw the benefits as the loss of new vehicles to build R20 and R25 would undoubtedly lead to reduced production volumes in the future if we retained the old factory. Terms were discussed and a new licence agreement signed between Freeborn Group and Addabak.

The same staff have been employed to produce the same Romahome models as they did at the old company. Two staff members continue to be directly employed by Freeborn Group but based at the new factory-Brian Bailey to coordinate operations between the two companies and to liaise with owners and potential customers and Jeff Whiteside who continues to run the Romahome parts and accessories business.

The phone number is as before -01983 292451-so from a customer perspective-new or existing-nothing changes.

Freeborn Group supply all the base vehicles, parts and materials required to build a Romahome and Addabak supply just the labour and build to order.

The warranty is not affected. Dealer outlets are the same.

The big difference is that we can no longer source new Berlingo platform cabs. Citroen UK allowed us to order the last 12 (the same number as they agreed with

Nu Venture who are also affected) and there are just a few remaining unsold. We still manufacture and get plenty of orders for new R10 and new R30 (including one last week from Halifax) and, as you know, we launched our 'New build on used vans' plan at the October NEC. This has proved successful with owners taking advantage of the lower price that they would have to pay for an all-new conversion.

The Freeborn fleet department continue to target councils and local authorities to sell meals-on-wheels conversions and any orders will be placed with Addabak.

Our Swedish dealer supplies us with up to 20 used Berlingos a year and we will continue to convert these into R20's for the Scandinavian market.

All in all, the new set-up is substantially better than the old and as long as people want to keep buying our products we will keep producing them.

Here's to a happy Christmas and that we all have a prosperous New Year

Andrew Jones

Freeborn Group

josie gibblebucket - 2014-02-26 10:49 AM

I think I read somewhere that they are also producing the Devon conversions now.........

Seems unlikely, as the Devon Motorhomes factory is in County Durham.

It's possible (I suppose) that the Romahome factory supplies Devon Motorhomes with GRP mouldings in the same way that a Cheltenham firm has supplied the La Strada company with monocoque GRP bodies, but that's not the same as carring out the Devon conversions.

Freeborn Motorhomes is the South of England dealership for Devon Motorhomes, so there is a link.

http://www.freebornmotorhome.co.uk/news/devon-motorhomes/

Archived