Wheels and Mud flaps, 2019 Fiat Ducato

Earthmover

Evening all,

I have new Elddis panel van that came with 16" alloy wheels and tyres to suit. ( Metal Wheel arches ). I have been looking to fit front and rear, Fiat mud flaps!?. but i can not convince myself that there will enough clearance for them to fit, taking into account the larger wheels. anyone fitted them successfully?.

Cheers Em.

We have an 2017 Auto trail PVC also fitted with the larger sized wheels...and I asked for mud flaps to be fitted all round, Front were fine, but the rear very tight and they had to bend the brackets to avoid rubbing on the treads...it just a question on making sure when they are fitted you play around with the angles of the brackets I guess..

Yes, but your Rapido 665F is a coachbuilt design and the mud-flap potential problem will arise when the motorhome has been built on a Ducato X290 ‘light’ panel van that has the 16”-diameter wheel option.

Restricted clearance at the back of the rear wheel arch of such vehicles was discussed here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spare-wheel-removal-wind-Down-/55540/

and - as Keith T mentions above - this makes fitting Fiat mud-flaps there tricky.

I THINK the shape of the front wheel arches of ‘light’ and ‘heavy’ Ducato X290 chassis is the same, so fitting front mud-flaps will be OK even if the PVC is on a ‘light’ (non-Maxi) chassis with 16” wheels.

I'm sat here between two Ducato's, a 35H xlwb x250, and a 35L lwb x290. Due to the different plastic wheel arch linings, the 35L has bigger wheel arches by aprox 1".

P.s. The x290 is a Relay, not Ducato, but that shouldn't make any different.

Earthmover observed previously that there were potential problems accessing the spare-wheel lowering/raising mechanism of his 2019 Elddis PVC that is fitted with 16” wheels. He is currently concerned about fitting Fiat mud-flaps as he believes the reduced wheel-arch clearance that is a consequence of the 16” wheels will complicate matters. Keith T has commented that fitting front mud-flaps to his 2017 Auto-Trail PVC (that has the 16” wheels) had been straightforward, but fitting the rear flaps had proved to be “...very tight and they had to bend the brackets to avoid rubbing on the treads”.

Genuine Fiat rear mud-flaps are quite bulky (image attached below). I think your lowest photo shows a 15”-diameter wheel with 215/70 R15C tyre on a Ducato ‘light’ chassis and, if that’s so, thare’s clearly not a lot of clearance to the rear of the tyre.

So - as Keith T has mentioned - although Fiat front mud-flaps should easily be fittable to Earthmover’s Elddis PVC - fitting the rear flaps may well require more care and effort.

Fiat-Ducato-X250--X290-Rear-Mud-Flaps.thumb.jpg.38e66f0319b8a7834c3374471ccd5a0f.jpg

I do seem to recall the dealer saying that fitting the mudflaps had not been straightforward, but I believed this had been due to it being a Maxi chassis with the extra plastic lining. What isn't obvious from the photo's, is that the basic wheel arch on both models seems to be identical, it's the plastic liner that makes the Maxi chassis have the smaller opening, not sure if EM's has this fitted. For the spare wheel, I think EM will have to use a ratchet with short adaptor, or maybe 1/2" ratchet might fit straight in the lift mechinism.

Hi, Colin, Keith, Derek, Steve,

Thankyou for the replies, If I had the clearance shown in some of the photo's I would not have asked the question. on my previous vans they were a straight forward fit, with 15" wheels, but with 16" wheels, Oh dear. I will get a set for the front and revisit the back wheels options.

regards Em.

Archived