Where are they all going?

ColinM50

Chatting to a couple of dealers this week and they both report fantastic sales at the NEC last week. One who expected to sell 25 caravans and Motorhomes actually sold 76 and the other sold their best ever sales at over 100 units.

All well and good but where are they all going to go? Tried two campsites for Saturday just gone, and both were full. And this is end of October. What's it going to be like in the spring/summer when all the holidaymakers who would have gone to Europe are stuck brexited in UK? And prices are going up too. A site we've used a few times have increased their nightly off peak winter rate from £22 to to £36. When I asked them why, their answer was, they're fully booked at £36, why should they drop their rates?

In the infamous words of Private Frazer in Dad's Army, "we're doomed, I tell you, all doomed". Maybe relegated to parking in laybys?

We went away last week and had a job to find a pitch for the first weekend. Depending where you wanted to go, it was of course half-term either last week or this week so that's one reason sites were full. Several sites we tried didn't apply their winter rates until 1st November. We stayed at 4 sites over 9 nights, 3 were commercial sites at £21,£22 and £23 per night. The other site was a CAMC site and surprisingly the cheapest at £19. If you check the CAMC website and look at late availability you will find lots with availability for the weekend after next and the weekend after that, so I suspect the half-term holiday was the main reason for full sites last week.

Quick look at CMC sites suggest that over half have vacancies for this weekend. Two weeks ago even I managed to book on a Friday for three days at their York Rowntree site starting on Monday.

The CMC web age enables you to input the days you want to go away and tells you where are the vacant pitches. It also has late availability bookings. There's plenty of spaces available, not always where you want to go though.

ColinM50 - 2018-11-01 10:29 AM

Chatting to a couple of dealers this week and they both report fantastic sales at the NEC last week. One who expected to sell 25 caravans and Motorhomes actually sold 76 and the other sold their best ever sales at over 100 units.

Interesting seeing that Autotrail are cutting 10% of their workforce because they have had a drop in orders after NEC show!!

Bas

ColinM50 - 2018-11-01 10:29 AM

So if just two dealers say that they sold over 176 new motorhomes in a the few days of the NEW show, does that really ring true, or were they maybe pulling your plonker, do you reckon?

How many completed sales and resultant paperwork per sales person per day does that equate to I wonder?

When something sounds too good to be true - is it?

PS - No reflection on your own integrity intended Colin!

Hell would freeze over before I paid £36/night for a campsite. We go to Europe for 3 one month breaks per year. The most I have paid for “camping fees” for the whole month on my last 2 trips is around 40 euro’s in total! I am a member of one of the major clubs and didn’t spend a penny with them in 2018 ( daft I know I should cancel the subs!).

No matter what Brexit brings, if I have to queue 48 hours, or more, to get the Ferry, who cares? The U.K. rip off on camping fees can go whistle, it’s Europe for me every time.

Brock - 2018-11-01 6:43 PM

Quick look at CMC sites suggest that over half have vacancies for this weekend. Two weeks ago even I managed to book on a Friday for three days at their York Rowntree site starting on Monday.

The CMC web age enables you to input the days you want to go away and tells you where are the vacant pitches. It also has late availability bookings. There's plenty of spaces available, not always where you want to go though.

So why are they so expensive in the UK , off season compared to Euro sites? Europe every time! :-)

Archived