Where is my fiat ducato model number on a hymer?

Brock

I am trying to find the Fiat model number so I can uprate my chassis.

It's not where the Fiat handbook says it should be - or I need an eyesight test - and there is no mention of it in the Hymer manual. I tried Fiat Camper's website but it is down; the data it does suggest shows 'Model 244 245-2'.

I have a 2013 Hymer A-class.

Please will someone enlighten me.

For uprating the chassis you need to know the existing maximum permissible load on each axle.

If your A class Hymer is based on a Fiat chassis, then this information should be shown on the Fiat vin plate.

If on an Alco chassis, then this information will be shown on the Hymer vin plate.

Historically, Hymer used to place a sticker on the side skirt showing the Hymer model number and gross permissible weight.

On my 2002 Hymer the vin plate was in the engine compartment, as far as I recall.

Brock - 2017-03-18 11:30 AM

I am trying to find the Fiat model number so I can uprate my chassis.

It's not where the Fiat handbook says it should be - or I need an eyesight test - and there is no mention of it in the Hymer manual. I tried Fiat Camper's website but it is down; the data it does suggest shows 'Model 244 245-2'.

I have a 2013 Hymer A-class.

Please will someone enlighten me.

What is the MAM (Maximum Allowable mass), and what is the maximum permissible load on each axle? (You'll fine both on a Hymer transfer plate attached to the side skirt in the vicinity of the rear wheel). Also, what model is your Hymer A-Class?

The relevant numbers are those given in KG. The first (top) is the MAM, the second is the Gross Train Weight (Not relevant to uprating), and those numbered 1, 2 and 3 are the maximum permissible axle loads for the front axle (1), the rear axle (2), and, if present, a second rear axle (3 - if a second rear axle is not present this is left blank). That will tell us which Fiat/AlKo chassis combination your van has, and it should enable us to offer some advice on how much you may be able to uprate it. It would also be useful to know where you need to add the extra capacity (i.e. front, rear, or both), and roughly how much you're looking for and where.

Assuming you van is presently plated at 3,500kg MAM, have you checked that your driving licence will permit you to drive a heavier vehicle?

It's the 250 number I wanted.

Brian I have three plates, Fiat's, Alko's and Hymer's. I'm working on the latter which provides for 2000kg on both axles [Hymer kindly fitted Goldschmitt coils for no charge]. SVTech has already told me 3650 kg is possible [the Fiat plate is 3650, Alko 3500] with 2060 for the rear [Goldschmitt semi air on rear]. I'm running comfortably within the axle loadings [1615/1825] with an overall weight of 3440kg in touring mode. There is no scope for an adult passenger or two and not a lot for extra water and food. Any extra weight will go midships and on the rear axle. I've used the SVTech calculator to ensure I'll remain OK if I carry extra. My main aim is to provide extra payload 'just in case' rather than worry about weights when the DVSA pull me in. There are 5 'permanent' DVSA weighing points within 30 miles of home and an occasional one through the Mersey Tunnel; all routes I take. All main routes into Merseyside are covered by APNR which I understand also includes weight classes. Motorhomes are usually pulled in if they look overweight or if there is a purge on. Licence for the wife and I is fine although we had a slight panic and had to double check hers.

Archived