Where to get Euros

Mel B

Guest Mel B
Hi Can anyone advise where the best place is to get Euros please? We don't know whether to get them here at a bank, building society, Post Office etc or get them on the ferry, alternatively, would we be better getting them in France? Ta

Guest Paul W
We have always had good deal at the Post Office, they can do them over the counter at the main ones. Had good rates, normally better than those shown on TV programmes and in papers plus there are no charges and they will change them back free on return, if you have any left!!

Guest Derek Uzzell
We use our credit-card to obtain euros via an ATM while abroad. This method is convenient, saves trying to predict in advance how much currency you might need during your trip and avoids starting out with a big wodge of cash. The disadvantage, I guess, is if you only intend to visit the 'euro-using' zones of Europe once, when you are likely to take a hit changing any spare euros back into Sterling. Not something that concerns us as we go abroad regularly. Using a credit-card does have potential pitfalls regarding charges. (There's been reports in Which? magazine about this.) Many (most?) credit-card providers impose a charge for purchases made abroad and, for cash withdrawals, add a further handling charge on top. They may also add interest from the moment that the cash is withdrawn from the ATM. Our credit-cards are issued by the CSMA (Civil Service Motoring Association) via Frizzell Bank, an offshoot of Liverpool Victoria Building Society. No charges are imposed for purchases made within the EU, though a 1.5% handling charge is made for ATM cash withdrawals (I think there was a £3 minimum charge for cash withdrawals when I last checked). However, you do get a good rate of exchange. On 23/04/2005, when I withdrew 400 euros from an ATM in France, my credit-card statement subsequently showed a rate of 1.4703 euros per pound (hence £272.05) and the 1.5% handling charge was £4.08. No extra charges (for interest, etc.) were added. How this compares financially with the other options you mention I don't know, but we think it's OK. I believe all Liverpool Victoria Building Society-related credit-cards (eg. the Caravan Club card) have similar charging terms, though specific 'perks' will differ. The Nationwide Building Society's card is also held in high regard by travellers. (Search current-style forum on "nationwide" and Old Forum on "buying euros" for more wise words on this.)

Guest Norma
Living next door to a Post Office I tried them. After all there was no charge. I found the exchange rate poor and costly! Thomas Cook were marginally better! Amex's rate is the same as T Cook (they're the same group) but make a flat rate charge for the exchange. In desperation we have bought Euros at the service station before Dover. That cost us a bomb! Hubby had a bad senior moment - he walked away from the ATM and left £200 pounds for some lucky person! Minutes later, it had gone.

Guest David
Hi Folks, Marks and Sparks do a good exchange rate, Jor just get a few from the bank and do as Derek says use ATMs but use your Debit card not Credit it works out chaeper and use your Credit card to buy goods over there as you often get a better exchange rate that way. Not used Travellers cheques for many many years and never carry much cash, not even over here. David

Archived