Where to go for a white Christmas?

nelwd

Hi

Looking for recommendations of where to go for a snowy Christmas. Happy to travel a reasonable distance from the UK, but think that Lapland is a bit far to drive. We won't be able to leave the UK before saturday 21st Dec, and will need to be back in the UK by Sat 4th Jan. I am thinking possibly Austria, has anybody been there this year, and what was it like, or does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Will

Whoa, planning a year in advance and expecting a

weather forecast for snow?

I can tell you this much. There was a tiny amount of snow in the south of Finland in the past two or three years, but decent amount for several before.

The Alps are highly dependent on directions of weather systems. At the moment there is no noteworthy snow below 2500m on the southern side of the main ridge but cross a tunnel to the north and there's been up to 4m just in the past week. Just this weekend i was clearing snow from the roof at 30-40cm per day in Flachauwinkl, there was even more to the northeast in the nordstau areas of Steiermark. But only about 5-10cm per day on the southern side of Tauern/Nockberge (15min drive). And 0cm another 15min further south.

Last winter was a mixture of north and southeast weather systems so both sides got some action already at the start of the season. Two years before, no snow at all until end of January for the southern Alps. Three years ago, nothing for the north. Unfortunately for me, northern weather is more common so most winters I need to drive a few hours to ski fresh snow.

So to guess where (or even if) you will see snow for xmas is a joke. Watch the forecast a week in advance and make a decision, then on the drive readjust your plans according to current weather. You might end up in the east of Austria or Piemonte but why does it matter anyway? That's the beauty of a MH.

Can reccomend Switzerland, virtually guaranteed snow, the site in the link has all the facilities that you need.

Depending on where you cross from/to, there are winter stopovers en route, at Valkenburg (Christmas markets), Maastricht, Heiderscheid (Lux) or Strasbourg should you want to split the journey or take your time.

Hopefully some food for thought?.

https://www.campingjungfrau.swiss

Southern Bavaria.

In the triangle Fussen - Garmish Partenkirchen - Schongau. Beautiful scenery, usually lots of snow, and not too far on good roads. Useful for day trips into Austria and Switzerland, and the local beer is good ! :->

Regards,

At present it's a disaster with numerous road closed, villages evacuated, ski resorts closed etc. But on xmas you had to go above 2000m to find natural snow on the ground.

Like I said, no point planning this. Look at the forecast before you go and drive wherever there is snow at the time.

Archived