Where to sell ?

maggyd

maggyd - 2019-02-22 4:20 PM

Van serviced and mot .d carpets and inside cleaned, we have to give up our travelling but don’t know what to do now! It’s easier swopping to another van but giving up is a headache.

Any advise please

Giving up.

I disagree and have little time for those who have cannot adjust to a different lifestyle. Having a multitude of interests all rated equal, I value none more enriching than the other. Touring Europe in a luxurious MH was just one.

To be serious the key to survival and enjoying life is that you first have to decide how long you wish to live ... having done that you must decide how to fill the space, there are thousands of interests just waiting to enter you mind. You can still take coach or train tours to almost anywhere.

I have the next ten years organised and will never be diverted, don't be so serious.

I meant giving up van Will , we will still travel only not in the van as O.H having reached his 82 year has said enough is enough.

Just not sure how to get a good price for van which will enable us to have a few luxury hols while we can, we both have had health problems the last twelve months which prompted the decision.

Understand Margaret, we still manage days out at 90 but the convenience of easy travel and and a few days stay at sites becomes less interesting plus the hassle of overseas booking and long distances to achieve very little except book-in ... hook-up ... and soak-up the atmosphere ... which here in the south today is as good as anywhere, to go 5 miles and stay at a garden center for a day surrounded by flowers takes some beating.

maggyd - 2019-02-22 9:08 PM

Just not sure how to get a good price for van which will enable us to have a few luxury hols while we can, we both have had health problems the last twelve months which prompted the decision.

It can take ages to sell a MH privately, especially if you think you can get (which you probably will) more for it than the market will stand. Many buyers want finance, so they buy from dealers, even if they thereby pay extra. Accessories add to the attraction of a MH but they don’t really enhance the price, which is primarily a function of age, mileage and condition. We all know that MH’ mechanics are better with a high mileage and regular use but buyers nevertheless value low mileage.

To sell privately present your MH in sparkling clean condition, in and out, and take all you clutter and stuff out of it to clear the decks. Adveritise on EBay and try very hard to list it well - upbeat description and factually accurate. If there are any faults fix them and make sure you have a recent MOT and have dealt with all advisories. Expect to have to put up with time wasters and hagglers so work out your realistic selling price and then ask slightly more so you can drop a bit in response to offers. Some people will try to haggle you down before they have even bothered to come and see your MH so explain to them (politely) that while you will certainly listen to offers, you are not prepared to drop the price before inspection and offer. If they insist on a price drop asa re-condition of coming to see your MH they are time wasters so politely decline.

Alternatively consider asking a dealer to sell your MH on commission, which means they don’t have to pay you until they sell and get their money, so they can afford to get you a better net price that if they paid cash up front. They have a forecourt and they can do finance and offer a guarantee, so they will sell for more than you cold get and you might well end up with more than you would selling privately - and you won’t have had to do all the work of selling. That’s what I would do. I used to live in Lancashire and there is a family firm in Lostock Hall called Todds which used to sell on commission and were trustworthy; they also have a huge indoor showroom so your MH gets looked after while they have it. It doesn’t really matter if they are miles away from you.

maggyd - 2019-02-22 5:25 PM

Thanks I had wondered about Gumtree but there seems so many on I thought it would take months. :-D

It's free to advertise so you've nothing to lose and everything to gain. As EJB said he sold his on there in less than 24 hours. Anything priced right will sell no matter where you advertise. I've been looking to replace my van and can tell you there's a lot of mh's/campers on AutoTrader which have been up for sale since last September.....purely because they're crazily overpriced (usually dealers).

A lot depends on how comfortable you are with Internet based selling. I have sold my last two motorhomes on Gumtree and eBay. I would suggest that if you are confident taking digital images, writing adverts, uploading etc etc then I'd suggest both at the same time. Just make sure you mention in each advert that the motorhome is advertised elsewhere. eBay classified adds are the best way (IMO) to sell rather than an auction. Don't leave any of your stuff in the van as people expect to see them as if they on sale at a dealer. You are limited to only a small amount of images on both eBay and Gumtree, but take lots more ( I did nearly 80 of my last one) so that you can send these to prospective buyers, be careful of the file sizes though. Better still, depending, on your confidence, you could use a site like Flickr to host the images and provide people with a link to them.

The biggest issue/worry I found was the process of payment. As we are talking about lots of money, both parties have to be happy with the process. You really do need internet banking to make this work. Do not accept a bankers draft (these are easy to forge) cheques, or the promise of a bank transfer. Certainly do not let anyone take the van until you have confirmed the money is in your account. Cash is possible, but both parties would need to go to the bank with the cash to have it checked for forgeries. The downside of internet banking is that there is generally a daily limit of £25,000 so if you are selling for more than this then you need to make another arrangement.

If this all sounds a bit daunting then a broker is another solution.

Archived