Which Base Vehicle?

Guest David Lloyd

Guest David Lloyd
Starting to think about a new motorhome and have basically decided on a low profile/fixed bed layout but which one to choose? We are wanting to keep below 9' high and around 20' - 22' long on a 3500kg chassis. The favourite at the moment is the Knaus Sun Ti but this is on the Renault Master chassis which gets consistently good write ups but I did read in MMM that Renault garages with suitable servicing facilities for 3500kg vehicles are virtually non-existent in the UK. Thoughts for and against please. David

David - If you regularly holiday abroad you could have your basic servicing done there, it would probably be cheaper into the bargain. It's the more serious stuff that would worry me. How are Renault going to honour your warrenty, etc, under the current situation?

Guest peter goddard
I think that you will find that it is the dealer you buy the vehicle from who has to honour the guarantee. So check with them before you buy that THEY can and will be able to carry out any work necessary, and get it in writing. I bought a Fiat based Burstner from Euromotorhomes and when it needed a new steering rack at 2 days old they suggested I take it to my local dealer as they could not work on it themselves, at no time during the purchasing process was it ever mentioned that they could not undertake work on the base vehicle themselves. However since this little glitch the whole vehicle has been most satisfactory and we are very happy with it now.

Choosing a M/H is like looking for wallpaper! Write down 'for and against' and stick to it. Depends on age and who you may be going with and what you intend to do with it. Also if you intend to keep it. As someone said last week hire one first. Knock on M/H doors and ask. I finaly decided after 3 years and a show visit. Two seperate beds one each end. I bed late 2am, she beds early 9pm. Opposites in the morning. I only get up when the grass is warm!

As has been said it all depends on your criteria and the order you rate them. Also it depends on how many years you intend to hang onto the vehicle. Personally I tend to hang onto vehicles for a long time. My last car was 14 years and the camper is already over 8 and no thoughts of a change whatsoever. If purchase price is the main criteria then the Sevel base (fiat etc) is probably the first choice although the Renault has a better reputation for its engineering than does the Sevel. If however you appreciate the advantages of grip provided by rear wheel drive then the Sevel and Renault are non contenders. But if you put engineering excellance and ease of finding service places all over Europe then one of these base are your choice - Ford, VW or the Merc. We chose Merc - No regrets. Good luck with your quest

Hi David I dont think you can beat the Renault Master 3500kg Our devon is just a tad under 6m Long and about 2.5 m high with roof rack & top box does 34mpg at motorway speeds The new ones are even better I can drive it all day (Almeria - Madrid & Innsbruck - Antwerp)without getting back ache SERVICING I get mine serviced at the local Car dealers 4 miles away Or There is a Renault truck depot 40 miles away in Carlisle. both keep stocks of spares and from what I am given to understand all Renault car garages have to be equiped to deal with these vehicles The Monte Carlo has two lounges so we keep the rear one made up as a bed OK for two people Our last Renault (Traffic) was 14 years old, sold it to a jobbing builder It had done 150,000 miles on the road every day except over Christmas & New Year had a few sets of tyres & 4 exhausts in that time

Guest David Powell
Yes Pete..I think you are right in your statement that Renault car garages deal with Renault commercials. On the odd occasions that I have required parts for my rear wheel drive Renault Trafic Coach Built Holdsworth, our local Renault car garage can produce the part from their van department, or order it for nine the following morning, from main stores. I notice they also have a pit for servicing the heavies. Our Trafic is also 14 years old, and I expect to keep it for a long time yet, it is comfortable to drive, and still goes very well.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Regarding Peter Goddard's comments, I'd take an educated guess that the majority of UK motorhome dealers don't have either the facilities or expertise to carry out repairs or servicing of the chassis side of the motorcaravans for which they are agents. Normally this shouldn't be a problem as there is likely to be a Ford, Fiat, Mercedes, etc. agency within reasonable striking distance that can carry out this work on large vehicles. (In fact, even if the motorhome dealer has the necessary garage facilities, for any warranty work to be undertaken on the base vehicle would also require the dealer to be an approved agent for that make of base vehicle. Although such 'dual agencies' exist they are uncommon.) As I understand it, the potential problem in the UK regarding new Renault motorcaravans involves warranty work on Master-based coachbuilt motorhomes and relates to their size (and possibly their complexity) rather than their weight. With a straightforward Master-derived panel-van conversion like PeteC's there should be no difficulty getting warranty work carried out as the motorhome and the Renault original are essentially the same dimensionally, mechanically and structurally. As an example, Devon's current Monaco panel-van conversion is L5.89m x W1.99m x H2.58m, whereas Burstner's Delfin P700 is L7.20m x W2.29m x H2.60m. Any UK Renault agent dealing with light commercial vehicles should be capable of working on the Monaco but could easily not have garage equipment (particularly the requisite vehicle 'lifts') capable of handling the Delfin's considerably increased length and width. The Monaco will be familiar to Renault mechanics trained to work on Master vans, but the coachbuilt Delfin, with its non-Renault Al-Ko chassis underpinnings is likely to be a novelty for them. David: I see this as a case of Caveat Emptor. You know there have been reports of potential problems for Renault coachbuilt motorhome buyers involving warranty work, so it's up to you to research the situation more fully (presumably by contacting the motorhome dealer(s) you might buy from and Renault agencies convenient to you). If you conclude there's a genuine risk that you'll have difficulty getting warranty work done easily if you buy a Renault, then you'll have to decide whether that risk is worth taking. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Guest David Lloyd
Thanks to everyone for their comments. Yes I think you are right Derek in that it is the overall dimensions of the body that is the proble. I currently have an Autocruise Peugeot Boxer Startraveller - the nearest Peugeot main dealer is aprrox 300 yards away but they cannot service the van I have to take it to their other garage in Stcokton! I do like the look and the reports of the new Renault Master and, of course, once it was out of warranty it would not be such a problem but I will do some asking around with the prospective suppliers as suggested and put the onus on them to come up with some acceptable solutions. Once again, thanks to you all for your interest and advice, David

Guest Brian Kirby
David I'm not so sure that size/weight alone was the whole of the story. I believe the Alko chassis played its part as well. The Alko based Knaus low profiles do sit very close to the ground. So much so that I have wondered whether they might ground on ferry ramps etc, possibly on some site approach roads. I think the problem was that the Renault service centre couldn't get the vehicle onto their hoist because the raised side rails on the hoist fouled the low skirts on the 'van. This was probably a combination of a particular type of hoist and the very low Knaus build. Whatever, I do think it would be a good idea to "audition" your nearest renault van service centre before you commit to the Renault/ Alko/ Knaus combination. All vehicles need servicing at some time and, so far as I know, all need access to the underside while being serviced. I doubt if more than a handful of car dealerships have the hoists, or workshop height, to safely accommodate 6 metre high, 2.3 metre wide and 2.7 metre high vehicles on their hoists. I know for a fact that not even all van dealerships can do this. The motorhome is, after all, quite a bit bigger than a high top long wheelbase van. So, firstly, I'd say check out your local Renault (and other) van service centres, making sure they fully understand what it is you're proposing to bring them. You may find that starts you off after adifferent base vehicle, even a different make of Motorhome. Alternatively, if you do find local servicing isn't on, at least you'll have been able to decide how far you are prepared to drive your Knaus to get it serviced/fixed, before you decided to buy it. Regards Brian

Guest Derek Uzzell
Brian: A "for what it's worth" comment. MMM's road test of a Knaus Sun TI says the chassis used is platform-cab format not Al-Ko and the Knaus brochure confirms this. (It's why I chose the Burstner as an example.) Nevertheless the Knaus is noticeably low slung and likely to present tha same potential clearance problems that you highlight.

Guest David Lloyd
Thanks Brian and Derek Iv'e noted thnose comments and will be making enquiries of the Renault garages and any of the motorhome dealers I approach. It also occurs to me though that I am trying to find a low profile version at around 20' - 22' and this would at least have a shorter wheelbase than a 24' fixed bed layout. With a shorter wheelbase it should lessen the risk of grounding. All I can say is it is a real pity since the Renault does look to have the makings of a great chassis! Thanks again, David

Guest Brian Kirby
Derek Thanks. Apologies for the misleading waffle David, afraid I was being lazy and didn't check my facts first! David - don't give up on the Renault - you may well have a suitably equipped service centre on your block. Last point. Don't assume that shorter overall length equates to shorter wheelbase. Ours is (according to Burstner) 6 metres long, but comes on the long wheelbase Fiat platform chassis. This gives quite a good, pitch free, ride and keeps the rear overhang nice and short. It is the rear overhang that seems to me most vulnerable to grounding on and of ferries. The rear is (almost invariably) the heaviest loaded axle and close to its load limit when laden. As the rear wheels come off the ferry ramp all that weight drops and, with its acquired momentum, carries on down after the rear wheels are on the level. It's that bit of extra rear spring compression that can whack a low rear end onto the end of the ramp. Good for the underslung spare wheel, waste drain pipes etc! I know, I've seen it, but not so far, thankfully, suffered. Regards Brian

Guest David Lloyd
Just a quick update. Based on the good advice received I contacted the nearest Renault Trucks dealer (Thompson Trucks at Billingham - which is not too far for me and nearer than the present peugeot dealer)and spoke to the service manager. They will certainly undertake all the servicing for a Renault Master - irrespective of where the vehicle was sourced. However, they would only undertake warranty work if the vehicle was originally supplied by Renault Trucks division and NOT cars. Despite the fact (he says) that they are all built IN THE SAME FACTORY! So I can continue my search for the right vehicle but if it turns out to be a Renault based one I will need to clarify with the supplying dealer that it originates from the trucks division. Once again - thanks to everyone for their input. Regards, david

Guest Brian Kirby
So now all you need to do is find out where Knaus sounce their Masters! Perhaps an innocent enquiry to the UK importer, who should by now know what the problem is, would persuade them to get the answer from Germany? Good luck Brian

Archived