Which Club . C&C C&MH or Other ?

BS20

Two months into our motorhome and after several trips we are thinking of joining a club to extend our chance of reserving a pitch. We have spoke to a few owners and they all sing the praises of either the caravan & camping club or caravan & motorhome club. We only want to join one club which has good clean sites with electric points, toilet, shower and service points facilities. Locations within walking distance to historical attractions, villages or towns would be a bonus. Not that concerned about the price of a pitch within reason.

Bearing the above in mind which club would you recommend that we should join, or maybe not join ?

Hi

We were in both the C&CC and the then, *CC for a while ('still in the now *C&MC for the CLs and breakdown cover) and although we haven't used any of their "main" 'sites for quite a while, of the 'sites we did use we found that on the whole the C&MC were more consistent, neater and generally better "kept". (obviously that's a generalisation, and there will be exceptions).

Bear in mind that with both clubs, their sites can sometimes be out in the sticks a bit.So it's maybe worth checking which club has sites nearest to the areas/regions you want to visit?

(Having asked this, you do run the risk of some folk waxing lyrically about how, being free spirited they don't "do" campsites, nor prior booking. etc...Pay no attention, they are usually full of it.)

Use what ever suits your needs.

We are in both and use both to get sites where we want to be. We like to know that we have pitch when we get to where we are going. Some people like to wild camp, not sure that's yet for us. What ever you do make use of it and within reason you know you'll have a decent site when you arrive.

BS20 - 2019-04-29 3:11 PM

Two months into our motorhome and after several trips we are thinking of joining a club to extend our chance of reserving a pitch. We have spoke to a few owners and they all sing the praises of either the caravan & camping club or caravan & motorhome club. We only want to join one club which has good clean sites with electric points, toilet, shower and service points facilities. Locations within walking distance to historical attractions, villages or towns would be a bonus. Not that concerned about the price of a pitch within reason.

Bearing the above in mind which club would you recommend that we should join, or maybe not join ?

Joining a club gives you member pitch prices. I have been a member of the C&C club for both motorhome and tugger I've no complaints with them and they are spending a great deal of money updating existing sited. You pays your money and takes your choice. :-S

BS20 - 2019-04-29 3:11 PM

If you are not cocerned about the price of a pitch within reason then why not join both clubs and double the availability of Club sites, Certified Sites and Certified Locations. Membership is not that expensive. you could join one and wait a couple of months and join the other. That way renewal costs won't hit you in the same month next year.

We are members of both but use the CAMC sites more mainly because you can reserve a pitch online without making a payment. There are of course sensible rules about not honouring the booking which we support.

As we mainly holiday outside the UK, the standard requirement from C&CC to pay up front is annoying and in my mind unnecessary. Thousands of euro campsites have no such requirement, why do UK sites insist on deposits or full payment up front? (CAMC excepted).

So my recommendation is join CAMC and enjoy deposit free bookings - but stick to the rules.

I think pepe63 summed it up quite well.

We are in both but almost exclusively use CMC CL's and on the few times we use either clubs own sites we find that CMC clubs generally have the edge....but then again there are those that complain about their strict regime, but I like to conform to good practices.

We are only Internet members of the C&CC which is slightly cheaper.

We rarely plan very far ahead and let the weather dictate our timing so unfortunately that does make it more difficult to get a place on main sites at times.

If, as you say that you prefer full facilities and are quite happy to pay for your choice, then it's worth being in both.

Fred

Member of both...use them simply for convenience in the UK and a few nights each year both Sites and CLs.

However Travel and Motorhome insurance with Caravan Club (C&MC)....also we booked a site in Paris last year with them and 5 nights stay saved us over £60.

stevec176 - 2019-04-29 7:48 PM

We are in both and use both to get sites where we want to be. We like to know that we have pitch when we get to where we are going. Some people like to wild camp, not sure that's yet for us. What ever you do make use of it and within reason you know you'll have a decent site when you arrive.

I could have written that Steve. us to a tee. I don't think either is better than the other and am happy paying the subs to both each year.

I agree with the theme of being a member of both clubs, however I think that you should pay a deposit on bookings as we have friends who work for the CAMC and two things happen regulally, members block book especially weekends (you can book up to a year in advance) so ad hoc bookiing, especially on popular sites is virtually impossible, and there are a lot of no shows as there is no deposit to lose, The other point I would like to make is the ads on TV about owning a caravan or motorhome gives you the freedom to go anywhere any time, totally untrue as you will be aware in the real world. France has the nearest thing to utopia as regards freedom, this country has that many restrictions ,its as if there is a hidden agenda to severly restrict our favourite passtime.

I am a member of both major clubs but prefer the C&CC for the age discount. One annoyance is the compulsion to book with both clubs as sites are often fully booked even out of main season and this restricts freedom of movement. You cannot now go anywhere on a sudden whim without booking. One site manager told me “ it is all you coffin dodgers and every one of you has a motorhome”. Life has changed and the freedom we used to have is gone. Just have to adapt. I no longer “ wild camp” as where I live people doing this are getting to be a major annoyance and the result will inevitably be more restrictions and places I used in the past are getting closed off to all vehicles.

Thanks for helping me decide which club to go for. I have decided on C&CC as they have suitable locations for me and I prefer the paid deposit on booking system. May change or add another club next year depending on this years trips.

Archived