Which mouse trap?

michaelmorris

Our is van in storage now for the winter. A newsletter from the company who run the storage compound reminds customers about the risk of small rodents treating a motorhome as a nice retreat from the winter weather and recommend s setting traps.

But what type - mechanical or poison bait? Where is the best place to set them.

Thanks

I have tried more modern ones but the most reliable by far have been Little Nipper mouse traps, baited with chocolate- covered raisins, which work well and stay intact. Poison bait works but the little critters crawl somewhere to die and stink the place out for weeks. Traps are best and although you need to check them and remove the bodies, in practice there is a short season when they are looking for a winter home and you'll catch a few in November/December then it will go quiet.

We've used Little Nippers at home and in the van to good effect. We baited with a bit of chocolate digestive. In the US, some spread baited traps around the outside of their RVs. There are some good ideas if you search the RV pages.

If you are environmentally minded, bear in mind some mice are vermin and can be killed whilst others may be protected eg the dormouse.

Surely the smell of baiting a mouse trap with food only brings them in? For the last two winters I've been using a couple of these siren thingys. A fresh set of batteries last at least five months, I put one inside the van and one in the engine bay to keep them from chewing the air filter up.

Archived