Which rear view / reversing cameras ?

Barry38

Does anyone have any experience regarding the quality and fitting ( wiring is not an issue ) of twin camera systems for Peugeot and Fiat van conversions? I am looking for a good reliable unit suitable for both day and night, preferably that will fit the existing rear brake light aperture with a seperate monitor at the driving position.

The range and prices ( I do not wish to take out a bank loan ! ) vary considerably and I would rather call on someones personal experience before taking the plunge if possible.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

We have a Dometic RVS536T, which is a twin camera system housed in a mount which inserts between the high level brake light and the van bodywork. The kit includes a 5" colour monitor.

The camera mount does not include a mike, so there is no oral communication from rear to front. Camera performance is good, including in low light.

I obtained two, slightly longer, stainless steel machine screws to replace the black bolts supplied with the kit which seemed a bit short.

The housing is neat and unobtrusive, and seals well to both brake light and bodywork.

Our van is an X290, so if yours is a previous model it would be wise to check if this kit will fit.

If you want the reversing view to select automatically with reverse gear, you will need to pick up a signal feed to achieve this. This required a CANBUS interface, which was incorporated at the same time as the radio was fitted (not by me).

That apart, I installed the camera, monitor, and wiring, and tapped into the power feed to the dashboard 12V socket, which is ignition switched, to power the system.

Archived