Which sat nav

stvekay

I have cracked screen of my tom tom go 500 whilst trying to change battery, I am not sure if it is going to work.Any recommendations for a new one? Just want to get from A to B using coordinates as given in camperstop book and all the Aires. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Charles Chodkowski - 2018-12-27 1:19 PM

If you have a tablet why not download Copilot for motorhome...

It’s perhaps worth highlighting that, if a tablet does not have a GPS capability (eg. a Wi-Fi-only iPad) it will be necessary to obtain a compatible external GPS receiver to allow CoPilot software to be used.

I have a similar requirement Steve, but in addition to simple use for A2B navigation, I use my satnav as speedometer.

For this use, a large screen is desirable, unless anyone knows of a satnav where one can increase the text size or change the font, to make it more readable .

We locate ours on the flip up clipboard on an 08 Ducato,

Suggestions welcome,

Snowie

It is possible to obtain ‘magnifiers’ for phones, sat-navs, etc. (GOOGLE on “sat nav magnifier”) but, if it’s only the sat-nav’s speed read-out that you’d like to read better, these probably won’t be that suitable.

I’ve no problem seeing my Garmin sat-nav’s main mapping display, but I’d also like to be able to resize the speed readout so that it would be (say) 20mm x 20mm. As far I’m aware no sat-nav provides that facility, presumably because the sat-nav’s manufacturer assumes that vehicle speedometers are not difficult to read...

(Obviously both of us could buy a supplementary GPS or OBD speedometer to provide a large-ish digital speed readout, but it’s irritating to go to such lengths when the sat-nav already has that capability.)

For a speedo you can get apps for smartphones, from the screen shots I've seen these should be quite large digits.

My TT5100 has options for changing the display, but I've never explored these as I'm happy with the standard display, so I can't say if these give a bigger speedo.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-12-27 2:28 PM

I’ve no problem seeing my Garmin sat-nav’s main mapping display, but I’d also like to be able to resize the speed readout

Neither do I, but I think it’s just that the manufacturers don’t think outside the box.

I set my satnav to kilometres when over the water, and use it a lot to check my speed.

If I were setting a brief for a satnav I would make quite a few suggestions for screen use, but they don’t ask us users do they?

Snowie

I'd endorse the use of Copilot on a tablet. I was about to upgrade my Garmin 700 series version but son (who used to work for them - hence staff discount) said try downloading Copilot onto your spare 10" tablet or just buy a £100 one, (The Lenovo E10 with GPS is currently £99). Did the former suggestion and was so impressed I purchased the Europe Caravan/RV version for about £35 in one of their promotional sales. It's so intuitive and easy to customise.

I attach it to a cheap tablet holder from EBay (< £8.00) and in the last year while travelling to Hungary/Spain etc it out performed the Garmin 700 on all counts. The only likely expenditure is the option of a year's subscription to traffic updates, all other updates are free. A further bonus is their tech. help, I had some misunderstanding about adding POIs which they helped me with. I now have all the club sites, Archies, Camperconnect etc.

snowie - 2018-12-27 4:18 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-12-27 2:28 PM

I’ve no problem seeing my Garmin sat-nav’s main mapping display, but I’d also like to be able to resize the speed readout

Neither do I, but I think it’s just that the manufacturers don’t think outside the box.

I set my satnav to kilometres when over the water, and use it a lot to check my speed.

If I were setting a brief for a satnav I would make quite a few suggestions for screen use, but they don’t ask us users do they?

Snowie

Why not use a Head Up Display (HUD)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=car+head+up+display&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=80882855915101&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7wwezuuc4r_p

Hi Steve

Contact Tom Tom for a new screen to be fitted.

Not sure of the cost, but it was reasonable and they arrange collection.

They mislaid mine and without quibble they sent a new one.

Plus Tom Tom users receive 25% discount, free delivery and they gave me a new case for my latest purchase the camper model.

Den

Repairs to TomTom devices are covered here

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1157/~/about-device-repairs-and-cost

The fee for an out-of-warranty repair for a TomTom Go 500 is given as €105

This link is to a UK company advertising sat-nav repairs to TomTom devices

https://www.tomtomrepairteam.co.uk/sat-nav-repairs/tomtom-repairs/touch-screen-repairs/

(It’s worth noting that Steve damaged his sat-nav’s touchscreen while attempting to replace its battery. So there’s probably two things now wrong with that device - a cracked screen and a duff battery.)

This company will provide a quote

https://www.nutzzelectronics.co.uk/get-a-quote/

I've tried both Garmin and Tom-Tom sat navs and personally I think the offerings from Tom-Tom are much nicer to use and have better features and displays.

My only experience of using sat-nav on phone/tablet is using Google maps on my Android phone. For general directions and traffic updates it is great. I also like the integration with Google (including audio input via bluetooth) and with numerous apps such as National Trust, ACSI and Archies, However, I found that that the spoken directions are less clear and the relatively slow position refresh rate means that it is not rare to have passed an exit on a roundabout before the map updates - leading to several wrong turns!

It's at toss up between convenience and cost (google maps) and quality and fast refresh rate (Sat nav).

Archived