White motorhomes.?

fesspark

All the motorhomes I have owned have been white inc;the present one as Mercedes have decided for whatever reason? to

paint all their F1 cars black does that mean we will some day be driving Black m,homes.?interesting thought do you think ? fesspark

Tests have shown white to be the most visible, therefore safest, colour.

Light colours are slower to absorb and disperse heat than dark ones.

All of which suggest white to be the best colour for a motorhome.

So why are they painting motorhomes half black?

This webpage supports John52’s advice about white being the best vehicle colour safety-wise.

https://www.autolist.com/guides/safest-car-color

Perhaps half-white/half-black motorhomes are thought to be 50% less likely to be stolen (which motorcaravanners seem to deeply fear) even though 50% more likely to be involved in an accident than an all-white motorhome...

Whilst I accept the safety argument I suspect that the ‘whiteness’ of motorhomes is more down to habit and low volume production. Before high quality modern insulation became prevalent keeping a metal box (caravan/motorhome) cool when it is used most, ie in the summer, would have been a challenge so reflective 'white' would have been the practical choice. People have got used to that so that’s the colour they expect. Throw in the low production numbers and the innate conservatism of many purchasers then a conventional light coloured van is the safer commercial route to take. There is a valid argument that caravans and motorhomes should not be white but something more natural so that they don’t ruin the view in the countryside for others when parked up. Our van is dark grey which makes it relatively inconspicuous , unless that is, it’s parked up with a whole load of other motorhomes.

I recall seeing a superb A class van at a campsite on the outskirts of Amsterdam. It had been re-sprayed a deep dark metallic red – absolutely beautiful.

BruceM - 2020-06-30 10:51 AM

There is a valid argument that caravans and motorhomes should not be white but something more natural so that they don’t ruin the view in the countryside for others when parked up. Our van is dark grey which makes it relatively inconspicuous , unless that is, it’s parked up with a whole load of other motorhomes.

I did at one time think having a 'Advantage Timber' wrap would look good, until I saw a 4x4 done in it.

I'm confused. At one time all cars were black. That didn't mean that motorhomes were black, so why does a Formula 1 team's livery decision have any bearing on the colour of motorhomes? Why aren't all motorhomes red? The Post Office have been painting their vehicles in that colour for some time? :-S

deep dark metallic red – absolutely beautiful.

Not everyone agrees, which limits potential buyers, so Dealers may only offer very low trade in value as they fear getting stuck with them.

Plus the paintwork will be more costly to touch up.

...Wheras they can't go wrong with white

Not as controversial as metallic red, but I fear even these new black and white motorhomes will become slightly less saleable when this current fad wears off.

Before high quality modern insulation became prevalent keeping a metal box (caravan/motorhome) cool when it is used most, ie in the summer, would have been a challenge so reflective 'white' would have been the practical choice..

I get that insulation has got better, but it is better still with a light colour.

If you see a black and a white car parked side by side on the forecourt in hot sun, put your hand on each bonnet and feel the difference 8-)

We have been lucky enough to travel 28 countries in vans, but I guess some people would not understand that a massive reason for white vans or cars is that in 30-40 deg C it is crucial to be white or a very light colour. You can forget your aircon, think of all the times you get into a hot vehicle waiting for it to cool or when parked up with no aircon. How many vehicles do you see that are not white in outback Australia or similar? These colour ideas by manufacturers of vans are like many other retrograde ideas they have...

Snapped this one in Dover

I wouldn't want to own it because a new one is far more practical.

I'd far rather own a new one because its far better

But I can see the attraction.

Park that alongside a new one, and no one is going to be interested in the new one.

Must be a great conversation starter.

Dover.thumb.jpg.36fe1e0dceb90c12bea406ba82cd8283.jpg

In the summer of 2015 the first year of owning our motorhome we experienced 4 days of over 40c day temps while in South Australia. Interestingly the Fiat aircon while driving kept the whole motorhome at a respectable temp. In fact it was more efficient than the Truma aircon in the hab area. The cab is the dark blue AT uses and the hab is white. Interestingly when we change up to the new fully auto Fiat it will be white or silver with no decals. The decals particularly the red areas have faded and cracked in the heat. My plan is to order a decal free motorhome . Cheers,

Archived