Who uses an electric blanket when camping ?

Will86

We have one on board but never needed to plug it in so used as an addon if required

Most of our camping is without ehu but if we were on a pitch with electric and it was a cold night then why not have the benefit of a warm bed without any noise from the heater

Ray

The VW Nexa has good wide and deep seats that are ideal for a comfortable bed when laid out but loose covers let in drafts so earlier in the year I bought a sleeping bag 'as a treat' ... I thought.

However when suitably zipped up with hands and arms tight inside and all the lights out ... the shiny outside surface caused the bag and me to slide sideways onto the floor which wasn't too bad but I became firmly wedged between the two seats/beds.

Oh calamity thinks I, no need for a body bag when the site warden finally investigates. It took me ages to untangle myself but I decided no more sleeping bags ! Hence the e-blanket query.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-11-05 5:49 PM

There is discussion about this on other leisure-vehicle forums

https://tinyurl.com/ycwcsd6k

Enquiries tend to be about the merits of 12V blankets or running a 230V blanket from an inverter.

Yes he's right the Dreamland Blanket timer/temp control unit won't work through my inverter either.

So I cut it out and wired the blanket directly to the inverter - then it works.

But you have to make your own arrangements for turning it off after it heats up.

I've seen 12v blankets but they don't have auto switch off either.

They tend to be low wattage (so would take forever to heat up) and you can't sleep on them.

Mine draws about 170 watts but its not on for long as it heats the bed in less than 10 mins.

Yet another unanswered question on motorhomefun I could answer.

But last time I looked you have to pay before you can post, and I didn't feel like paying them to answer their questions.

Will86 - 2018-11-05 8:53 PM

The VW Nexa has good wide and deep seats that are ideal for a comfortable bed when laid out but loose covers let in drafts so earlier in the year I bought a sleeping bag 'as a treat' ... I thought.

However when suitably zipped up with hands and arms tight inside and all the lights out ... the shiny outside surface caused the bag and me to slide sideways onto the floor which wasn't too bad but I became firmly wedged between the two seats/beds.

Oh calamity thinks I, no need for a body bag when the site warden finally investigates. It took me ages to untangle myself but I decided no more sleeping bags ! Hence the e-blanket query.

Will,

Like you we are not fans of the gaps round loose covers in our MH.

As I have recently stated on another thread, we have used sleeping bags for many years. They are covered in cotton, or at least cotton like fabric. We zip two bags together to make one large one. This takes care of Tracker's comment as to his reason for not using a blanket.

We have not experienced any of the problems that you describe above, except perhaps in a small way when using hired sleeping bags in NZ.

Perhaps it is the layout of the vehicle is a factor, but I do not remember any problems with our previous coach built Pilote.

In conclusion, is it the case that in these days of synthetics, you were unable to find the correct type of blanket?

Alan

Alanb - 2018-11-06 9:46 AM

We zip two bags together to make one large one. This takes care of Tracker's comment as to his reason for not using a blanket.

I don't recall making that comment Alan, but maybe my memory stick needs replacing!

The Duvalays being sealed along one edge and having a large overlap for the other never gave us any problem with cold bum or sticky out feet and still allowed us to peel the covers back when things got too hot.

For really cold nights you can use a blanket on top and that makes it really snuggly warm inside - until you need to get out in the wee small hours!

The only downside was the cost but if you use them a lot and you value your sleep like we did they worked wonderfully well for us.

We are seriously thinking of taking an electric blanket with us this winter, for the first time. The two things I miss most when away are the electric blanket and the dish washer, we can take the first but unfortunately not the second.

I guess we will still have the hot water bottle for those nights off grid.

We took electric blankets and even arranged convenient on/off switching.  We did try them once (only) and never agin, so they came out.  Our Hymer's heating system is perfectly adequate for overnight using a turned-down temperature when neccessary.

Modern electric blankets which allow separate control of the two sides and of body/foot areas (which we have at home) are occasionally very useful, in my case mainly for a low setting of feet-only.

It might be possible to run electric blankets for a quick warm-up using an inverter but not for all night; off EHU stick to your hot water bottle if your MH heating isn't effective enough.

Will86 - 2018-11-06 10:01 AM

I shall revert to sleeping fully clothed when travelling with a light covering, simple and effective.

I have a standard domestic bed mattress slung from 4 ratchet straps to get it level. Find it more comfortable to sleep in light clothing with thick bedding. Just using the electric blanket for a few mins to get the bedding warm before getting in.

Never need one. At home we only have a 4.5 tog duvet all year , as a newish house so very warm.

In the van if you are away in cold weather, (we never did) A hot Water bottle or 2 , much cheaper, easier to store .

It depends on your needs, we are all different, don't like a too hot bedroom, much better to have a cool room.

I can remember , pre central heating , and ice on windows in bedroom in mornings, had blankets and eider downs in those days, plus the hot water bottle to warm your feet.

You youngsters are much softer than us pre war babies! (WW2)

PJay

I remember sleeping under a pile of Witney woolen blankets when I had no van heater. They were very good - but very heavy - the Witney factory has long closed as people moved to much lighter and easier to clean man made fibres. They were so heavy I dreamt I was paralysed and couldn't move - wild camping in the van - for a moment wondering if I would die before I was found. Of course when I woke fully I could move - but just in that half asleep state it felt like I couldn't

Archived