Whoops! Cracked rear panel, any ideas on repair?

Dodgey

First year motor homing and loving it! Took the motor to Venice via France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Austria and still was smiling when I arrived. Mind you nearly ended up in the back of transcontinental HGV when the police motor cyclist jumped out and stopped the traffic for a funeral cortège!

Italians are impetuous!

Anyway after lazing away a week I managed to reverse into a dwarf wall and cracked the rear panel. Not enough to claim on insurance. Got home and was quoted £370 which seems excessive as I only want the panel glued/welded to whatever.

So the question is: How do I repair it? (Is it plastic or polyprop?). Or where can I take it to get it done at a reasonable price near Southampton/Portsmouth?

Dodgey.

608047703_Sideview.jpg.2a3dd3a67a82adfdc448e27e61bf6846.jpg

Guest pelmetman

Well bad luck for reversing into a metal ruler :D.....................although I did read in this months MMM about a chap who went to the local bus company for a similar repair and got a good deal ;-)

See Daniel I do read the mag................... occasionally :D

As a rule I do enjoy a good quiz.

It looks like the way GRP splits to me but to be sure is the inside of it rough or smooth?

If its GRP its very simples - just stick a patch on the rear to reinforce the split, clean with thinners to remove any grease, fill all the damage with flexible polyester filler, rub down smooth with wet and dry, wipe off again with thinners to remove dust and grease, mask off at a convenient point above the damage and respray using a matching aerosol.

Paint should be easy enough to source once you know the colour which the converter should be able to tell you.

If you don't have the confidence any small car repair shop should be able to do for a fistful of fivers.

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 7:41 PM

Who gave you the mag Dave - or did you (gasp) actually buy it (gasps of wonderment all around the forum)!

You're not spending enough time away if you have cash to buy magazines!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2012-10-24 7:44 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 7:41 PM

Who gave you the mag Dave - or did you (gasp) actually buy it (gasps of wonderment all around the forum)!

You're not spending enough time away if you have cash to buy magazines!

Yes I bought it in Sainsbury ;-)..............although it was the only one there and it seems to have suffered from delamination, as the front cover was all wrinkly :-S.................I see myself now as a buyer of unloved MMM mags :D

Thanks for prompt replies, as a rule I normally inch my wasy round when reversing but this time I went for the whole nine yards. It's plastic not GRP pretty sure I need it welded but hate to pay for a gun that will be (hopefully) used once. So back to the drawing board.

Dodgey :-D

Basically as Tracker has already said in his first post. But as it looks like it has just split and not broken anything away, I'd superglue it together before laminating it from behind. This will work even if it is ABS plastic. Nobody makes external panels out of polypropylene, its too flexible in thin sheet and degrades like you wouldn't believe in the sun.

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 7:56 PM

Yes I bought it in Sainsbury ;-)..............although it was the only one there and it seems to have suffered from delamination, as the front cover was all wrinkly :-S.................I see myself now as a buyer of unloved MMM mags :D

I'd get it damp-tested, and quickly! ;-)

Dodgey - 2012-10-24 7:29 PM

So the question is: How do I repair it? (Is it plastic or polyprop?). Or where can I take it to get it done at a reasonable price near Southampton/Portsmouth?

Dodgey.

....if its not GRP, then it is likely to be ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) thermoplastic.

It used to be almost impossible to find places to repair ABS, and hence quotes, particularly in the leisure industry, tended to be fairly high.

Since the increased use of plastics in cars, however, there is also an increasing number of repair shops that can cope with their repair.

It might be worthwhile searching on ABS repair, bumper repair or plastic repair in your area. It's also worth noting that many mootrcycle repairs require plastics to be fixed.

If you have any confidence in your own abilities, then it is also possible to buy repair kits (such as Plastex) that say they will work well on ABS.

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-10-24 8:26 PM

It's probably my fault as I got over excited in the classic section :$.........................I do hope they never feature a Travelhome as I'll need a lie down for a month :$

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-10-24 8:41 PM

then it is likely to be ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) thermoplastic.

I just luv it when you talk dirty Robin :D

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 8:53 PM

It's probably my fault as I got over excited in the classic section :$.........................I do hope they never feature a Travelhome as I'll need a lie down for a month :$

.....good grief, top-shelf magazines in Sainsburys - whatever next? 8-)

... so what's new? :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-10-24 10:24 PM

... so what's new? :D

Just booked to lie down for 2 months in the sun B-).......................Its hard work being a pouffe stuffer ;-)

Another product worth a try is Plastic Padding's " Gel Coat Filler" you can buy it in a tube any yacht chandler should have it or loads for sale on ebay. It gives good results on wood, fibreglass and ABS I have also used it to repair a chipped stone resin shower tray at home. You will probably need to use it to reinforce the crack from behind with some fibre glass tape.

On the front side you apply then cover it with tape I use 50mm clear tape smooth it down when set about 30 min peel the tape off, leaves a nice smooth finish if you have over filled it you can sand it with 2000 or 3000 grade wet & dry.

As I see things you have two choices, either get it repaired  professionally and pay the price , or do it yourself,by pop riveting a plate behind the crack, clean it up with some wet and dry , get a can of spray paint to colour match and spray it and then put some  reflectors over the rivets and live with it, Simples.

Why not arc weld it................................................Well it's almost as sensible as using pop rivets. :D

This is the o/p's pride and joy after all and he wants it to look like new. Not a lash up. >:-)

peter - 2012-10-25 1:50 PMWhy not arc weld it................................................Well it's almost as sensible as using pop rivets. :DThis is the o/p's pride and joy after all and he wants it to look like new. Not a lash up. >:-)
 Well then he will have to do as I did when I bashed my Hymer the same way, go through the Insurance, the total cost to them was £1200 , a new bumper and one rear light cluster.

Archived