Wild camping in holland

noble1

My daughter and son in law have purchased a house in Amsterdam I have been there for three weeks with our motorhome parked on various Street around there property - occasionally we slept in the motorhome

I have now returned home and another motorhome owner has told me I could have been fined for this - does anyone know if this is true ?

We did Amsterdam last October and at the time my understanding was that wildcamping is prohibited in the Netherlands in order to protect the environment. Likewise overnighting in a car park risks prosecution. So I’d assume that when you slept in your motorhome you were breaking the law. You got away with it though so no worries.

Thank you for this information - we did visit Amsterdam city camp in Noord - not far from my daughters new house - an area that looks rough but is far from it - great pubs and restaurants in the old harbour - we noticed a couple of motorhomes parked outside of City Camp in the parking bays of a very quiet road - we cycled around the area on a daily basis - would recommend this area of Amsterdam to any one - please note there are 96 spaces in City Camp but only numbers 1 - 48 have electricity . We did not stay there - but it looked fine and close to the NDSM free ferry to central station a 10 minute journey

it is also my understanding that wild camping is illegal in the Netherlands, but like anywhere else that doesn't mean you will be caught and fined for it. I have read somewhere that there may be a few spots where it is tolerated.

p.s. we spent most of june and also most of last week in the Netherlands.

Archived