Wind turbine, questions for aandcaravan.

Earthmover

Hi,

For various reasons I don't fancy putting a solar panel on the roof of my van and use and folding one as required. however I have been considering a wind turbine for use during my enforced 3 week winter lay up, when I put a cover over the van. Can you say, Is the set up the same for a turbine as a panel?. Eg wiring to batteries, regulators etc. also the pole and the support base like the use under the wheel at car sales places.

anyone using a turbine feel free to chip in.

regards

Em.

I used a Rutland 504 for a few years. Most of that time it was linked into the same circuit as a freestanding solar panel. Solar is a better long term solution but wind power helped out a number of times.

Be sure to get it high enough to get 'clean' air and it should contribute to the batteries maintenance.

Yes, as far as battery charging is concerned it is the same as Solar charging, batteries, wiring, etc.

The big disadvantage of Solar in mid Winter is almost zero output, about 4Ah a day, yet Winter can be a time of strong winds and reasonable output for wind powered devices. But they are expensive (with limited lifetime, or significant maintenance cost as bearing/mechanical wear can be an issue).

It is very important that to get anywhere near a wind turbines rated output, it must be mounted high into the air, into a none turbulent air stream. Turbulence can drop a wind generators output down to tenths of it's capability. I would suggest a minimum 20' high without any obstacles like trees, bushes, houses, etc within 50 metres.

Something like a £400 Rutland 504 will typically deliver a measly 25watts in a 22 MPH wind speed in 'clean' air and about 8watts in 'dirty' air.

When I was investigating Wind Power I was looking at generating over 95 megawatts with 80 foot diameter blades, mounted 65' off the ground to ensure the air wasn't turbulent, but that's another story.

Wouldn't it be much cheaper and less hassle just to isolate the batteries for 6 months? Modern, decent quality wet batteries will stay charged up for months.

Archived