Windscreen mounted reversing mirror

tonyg3nwl

Over the weekend, we attended a Rally just a few miles away.

Whilst there, the mirror mounted on the windscreen decided to part company with the screen., taking the secondary reversing camera screen with it.

I tried temporary re attaching with double sided sticky tape, but unsuccessful.

On the way home, I called in at Halford, and bought replacement sticky pads, and then had the trouble of cleaning up the old glue

Eventually succeeded, and mirror now re attached

Nearly 5 pounds for the sticky pad .

Is it obligatory to have internal mirror, bearing in mind that the view is severely limited via the kitchen window in the van.

Tonyg3nwl.

My interior mirror and mount dropped off years ago, no use for rear view but useful for keeping an eye on the interior if something began moving about in the rear etc.

Anyway this June the screen got broke in France, we thought about getting it done in Italy, our destination, but in the end left it till we got home. New screen has the mount pad but I haven't fitted the mirror as the dash cam lives near there.

Point of story, I had mounted my Crit'Air cert' in an old tax disc holder so it was easily removed from the bust screen and saved me 3.62euros. >:-(

B-)

I recently bought a new Eldiss Autoquest 115 and did not feel that the view in the rear view mirror through the small kitchen window was good enough so I had a camera fitted near to the rear number plate and this is wired to a screen that fits to the rear view mirror. So this gives me a wide angle view while driving and I find this works very well, although it gives the impression that you are travelling a little faster than you actually are. My main concern was a small vehicle or Bike could be tucked in close behind me but out of my sight.

The dealer who fitted this assures me that this format is legal.

Regards

Keen Canary

This article mentions replacement of traditional rear-view mirrors with a camera-based system

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/96631/is-the-end-near-for-car-mirrors

and the French motorhome manufacturer “Le Voyageur” now offers such a system for their high-end models.

(I think that a complete camera-based system has been a legal option in the UK since 2016 as original equipment on new vehicles, but may well not be legal for retrofitting. Obviously there’s nothing to stop someone fitting a camera + monitor to provide a rear view when a vehicle is being driven, provided that existing mandatory mirrors are not removed.)

I have now a westfalia kepler one whit inside rear mirror, and can see half thru the rear window. But the rear window has no wiper fitted. All uk versions have a wiper there. It was not on my option westfalia price list. The same goes for the front outside mirrors being hand inclined or electrically. Vw transporter T6- New. Any user of the type welcome. Extremely popular in UK.

Archived