Windscreen wipers not working

Casimir

The windscreen wipers on my 2007 Ducato X250 based van have stopped working properly.

When I pull the stalk for a wash/wipe the wipers stop halfway across the screen. The only way to complete the cycle is to turn the ignition off and on again repeatedly. Then the wipers move about 5mm each time until the cycle is completed and they return to the park position.

I have read the the problem could be the stalk, the wiper motor linkage or the wiper motor itself. Has anybody else experienced this problem and what did they do?

If there are no problem with the other commands for the wiper, for example operates normally on intermittent and both speeds, then the fault may be in the steering column switch. To replace this the air bag and steering wheel needs to be removed, so best left to a garage to fit. The actual part incorporates all the switches and so needs a specific part for your build. The example below gives you some idea of the assembly.

The actual operation of the motor is via the body computer. The column switch sends command signals to the computer that in turn activates the motor.

The motor, the wiring loom to the motor, or the linkage, may be faulty. To access this area the scuttle plastic assembly at the bottom of the windscreen needs to be removed.

It will be useful to have a dealer diagnostic investigation that should help to pinpoint the problem so that parts are not replaced unnecessarily.

Column switch,

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-steering-column-switch-06-14-735430093.html

Motor with linkage,

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-250-rhd-wiper-linkage-motor-1343896080.html

Mike

Casimir - 2020-08-11 3:14 PM

The windscreen wipers on my 2007 Ducato X250 based van have stopped working properly.

Last year I had my wiper linkage break and I fitted a new assembly then had the same problem as you described to fix this there is a simple reset to follow which fixed mine.

You need to remove the battery cover in passengers foot well now with doors shut and ign off wait for a few mins then disconnect the battery Negative terminal for a count of 6 then reattach it . I hope it works for you if not you've only wasted a hr. Also I see your van is LHD the wiper motors linked to won't fitt it I had to manage 2 mths with out last year as couldn't get a RHD unit in France

Thank you for the feedback.

After some investigation I have established that the problem is with the linkage rather than the motor or the stalk. After allowing some WD40 to do its work the wiper arms have started to move more freely, one side more so than the other. I intend to remove the linkage and the motor and investigate further.

Casimir - 2020-08-13 11:37 AMThank you for the feedback.

After some investigation I have established that the problem is with the linkage rather than the motor or the stalk. After allowing some WD40 to do its work the wiper arms have started to move more freely, one side more so than the other. I intend to remove the linkage and the motor and investigate further.

The reason mine broke was the drivers side was seized because water had pooled in scuttle while parked and rusted the shaft coming out thru. On looking at the seized part after it would be a simple job to lubricate this shaft you can see it after you've removed the wiper arm there's a circlip on the out side which when removed allows the shaft to be push back which will enable you to lubricate itBe better to try this first than disturb the scuttle clips usually break and it leaks afterwards

• 3 weeks later...
mikefitz - 2020-08-11 10:53 PM

Correct link for a LHD wiper linkage,https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-250-lhd-wiper-linkage-motor-1363338080.htmlMike

Thank you for the info. I have ordered the complete assembly from Coastal Motorhomes and hope to fit it within the next few days.

Archived