Wing Mirrors

Guest Ray Pead

Guest Ray Pead
I have recently purchased a Pilote Galaxy 780, year 2000. It has large one piece wing mirrors, and unless I am able to approach a junction at right angles to the roads to left and right, I have difficulty in seeing if the roads are clear. Some more modern wing mirrors are in two sections to overcome this problem. Has anyone got a solution to this problem please.

You have basicly answered your own question. You will find that HGV drivers plan ahead to ensure adequate visability, frequently making sure they get square onto junctions even if the road is not. Yes, there are some peculiar mirrors which can see at different angles, but none can see round corners. So the driving skills you have realised are appropriate. Take care - but take it!

I have some additional small mirrors fitted on the end of my normal mirrors. These are very convex and with appropriate adjustment they give a big increase in the field of vision. I can't remember who makes them but I have seen them in Marquis accessory shops.

Hi ray i am a van driver with some 50+ years experience And totally agree with the second reply You have to plan ahead and if necessary pull to the right and then back to the left so that your van is more square to the road you are joining It is called positioning I have some of those small mirrors and actually find them a distraction I acn see the road better in the large (normal) mirrors The small (blind spot ) mirrors are adjusted to look at the back wheels and bumper they are a great help in reversing back onto a site - we can put a block at the side of the wheel and reverse back in one move to touch it Just practise

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply. I will have to keep my money in my pocket and "brush up" on my driving skills!! Kind regards, Ray

Archived