Winter tyres 3PMSF

BruceM

I’m at a time when I need to consider replacing my rear tyres due to their age.

Rather than sticking standard van tyres on the (16”) wheels I’m contemplating fitting 3PMSF tyres and then next year replacing the front tyres with 3PMSF to allow us to use the van out of season in some of the countries that have winter tyres regulations (see https://www.continental-tires.com/transport/knowhow/european-winter-regulations ) .

The advantage of using this spec of tyre is self evident. I’d be interested in knowing though if there are any downsides I should be aware of.

Continental, Vredestein and Nokian make 4 season tyres with 3pmfs marking. Unless you're an avid skier in constant search of fresh snow dumps, that's the tyre to get. A proper winter tyre is overkill for you brits and will also be destroyed in the summer.

*Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Uniroyal, Falken and a few others also make all season tyres but looking at their thread patterns they're more summer tyres with a few extra sipes. The ones above reverse the logic and wouldn in theory be better on snow. I don't have personal experience with any of them as I'm one of those who look for performance on snow above all else in a winter tyre so use two sets and change with seasons.

Presumably the RW06 model? That would be a winter tyre and as such would not be advisable for use in the summer. If you use a winter tyre at high temperatures you will wear it out very fast and also sacrifice any potential benefits in the following winter season as the rubber hardens.

Based on my experience with using winter tyres all year round (they were too worn out to be winter legal next season), a winter tyre used during summer will wear out about twice as fast as a summer tyre. Not to mention the substantially inferior driving characteristics.

Also, it seems the model has been around since at least 2010 and was rated as satisfactory in Promobil test:

Snow: 7,8 / 10 points

Wet: 7,3 / 10

Dry: 6,1 / 10

spirou - 2019-10-15 3:46 PM

. . .Based on my experience with using winter tyres all year round (they were too worn out to be winter legal next season), a winter tyre used during summer will wear out about twice as fast as a summer tyre. Not to mention the substantially inferior driving characteristics.

Hmmm . . this brings up my original question – ie what are the disadvantages.

So taking Germany as an example, 3PMSF tyres will be required on all wheels. So what do other motorhomers do? Are people actually using two sets of wheels (Winter/Summer) or are they accepting that their winter tyres will wear quicker in the summer and if so by how much over an annual mileage of say 6,000 miles?

And yes - it was the Hankook RW06 I Iooked at.

I drive quire a few miles each year in the van, typically 15k miles, and now use all seasion/winter tyres all year round, hot and cold countries.

Tyres used, Toyo HA9 winter, Nokian Weatherproof all seasion, Continental Van Contact 4 seasion.

These tyres will wear faster than summer tyres and they cannot be considered as winter tyres once down to 4mm

Compared to the summer tyres used, for one year,, Michelin Agilis ( summer tyre), there was no noticeable difference in summer conditions on normal road surfaces between the summer and winter tyres. On wet grass, mud, snow the Mitchelen tyres were poor performers.

With a set of winter/all seasion tyres you should see around 20k miles before reaching the 4mm limit.

Of the 3 makes I have used I rate the Nokian Weatherproof as the best performer and the Continental the worst.

Mike

In the alpine countries those of us who use their MH in winter, will most commonly have two sets. Those who only drive around when there's no snow forecast and don't care at all about skiing, use all season tyres.

I would guess the latter category is most applicable to you as well? Unlike in a car, you're likely not being forced to drive around when there is snow on the road. You can just stay put for a few hours or days. But, since the temperatures are still low, there's possible icing and the occasional snow/ice covered parking lot to negotiate around.

Since you asked about downsides of a winter tyre during summer... substantially worse wear, substantially worse stopping distance, substantially worse cornering. The rubber compound is simply too soft for summer temperatures. A winter tyre in summer is about as bad as a summer tyre on snow.

mikefitz - 2019-10-15 5:16 PM

I drive quire a few miles each year in the van, typically 15k miles, and now use all seasion/winter tyres all year round, hot and cold countries.

Tyres used, Toyo HA9 winter, Nokian Weatherproof all seasion, Continental Van Contact 4 seasion.

These tyres will wear faster than summer tyres and they cannot be considered as winter tyres once down to 4mm

Compared to the summer tyres used, for one year,, Michelin Agilis ( summer tyre), there was no noticeable difference in summer conditions on normal road surfaces between the summer and winter tyres. On wet grass, mud, snow the Mitchelen tyres were poor performers.

With a set of winter/all seasion tyres you should see around 20k miles before reaching the 4mm limit.

Of the 3 makes I have used I rate the Nokian Weatherproof as the best performer and the Continental the worst.

Mike

You state that Michelin Agilis are 'Summer Tyres'. The Agilis Camping are actually Mud and Snow rated, the plain Commercial variant is not M&S rated however. I believe there is also the Agilis 'Alpin' variant which is a Winter tyre.

We don't have a van at the moment, but I have Michelin Cross Climate tyres on the family car because we travel across France and Germany at all times of the year, They are good for about 30,000 miles on the front and about 40,000 miles on the rears. I no longer race or rally so I never drive on the limit, in any case a Skoda Fabia diesel Combi is not the car I'd chose for that, but I have no reason to think that they are in any way inferior to any other tyres I have used over the years, and would recommend them for what they are intended to do.

AGD

been running on winter tyres all year for the last 9 years on Burstner motorhome Travel to the Alps in March- May and in Autumn . Seldom need to use chains. Change the whole set after 4/5 years and have had no issues on performance or exist wear.

Michelin “CrossClimate” tyres are now marketed in sizes some of which would be suitable for motorhome usage

https://www.broughtyferrytyres.co.uk/Tyre/Details/Michelin/Agilis+CrossClimate

A potential disadvantage is that these tyres have a directional tread pattern, so - in the event of a puncture - there’s a 50:50 chance that a spare wheel carrying a CrossClimate tyre will be inappropriate for mounting in place of the wheel that has the punctured tyre. It’s worth being aware that it’s not that unusual for genuine ‘winter’ tyres to have a directional tread pattern.

Mikey - 2019-10-19 12:02 PM

Change the whole set after 4/5 years and have had no issues on performance or exist wear.

You obviously don't drive much. We go through a set, both winter and summer, in 3 years. The winter tyre especially will be worn out to near legal minimum by end of 3rd winter and thus barely adequate in snow. So over 2mm per year

spirou - 2019-10-19 12:11 PM

You obviously don't drive much. We go through a set, both winter and summer, in 3 years. The winter tyre especially will be worn out to near legal minimum by end of 3rd winter and thus barely adequate in snow. So over 2mm per year

What is your current estimated annual mileage?

spirou - 2019-10-19 8:23 PM

BruceM - 2019-10-19 3:07 PM

We recently changed but the old van went through 145000km in just under 5 years.

OK, that’s about 18,000 miles a year and I think you indicated that your winter tyres needed changing about every 3 years so that means that you would be getting about 54,000 miles out of them. Consequently, if I cover about 6,000 miles a year, with the caveat that summer usage may cause abnormal wear and a requirement for early replacement, I would expect to get about 9 years out of them. So on the face of it all year winter tyres such as Nokian Weatherproof all Season (3PMSF) may be viable.

BruceM - 2019-10-20 3:33 PM

spirou - 2019-10-19 8:23 PM

BruceM - 2019-10-19 3:07 PM

We recently changed but the old van went through 145000km in just under 5 years.

OK, that’s about 18,000 miles a year and I think you indicated that your winter tyres needed changing about every 3 years so that means that you would be getting about 54,000 miles out of them. Consequently, if I cover about 6,000 miles a year, with the caveat that summer usage may cause abnormal wear and a requirement for early replacement, I would expect to get about 9 years out of them. So on the face of it all year winter tyres such as Nokian Weatherproof all Season (3PMSF) may be viable.

Couple of points, you have doubled the mileage Spirou gets from each set of tyres, so expect closer to 4 1/2 years, and the Nokians are 'all season' so summer wear won't be too bad.

colin - 2019-10-20 4:01 PM

Couple of points, you have doubled the mileage Spirou gets from each set of tyres . . .

Hmm - what did I miss? 145,000 km in 5 years = 29,000 km in 1 year = 18,125 miles per year which over 3 years of viable usage is 54,375 miles.

BruceM - 2019-10-20 5:17 PM

colin - 2019-10-20 4:01 PM

Couple of points, you have doubled the mileage Spirou gets from each set of tyres . . .

Hmm - what did I miss? 145,000 km in 5 years = 29,000 km in 1 year = 18,125 miles per year which over 3 years of viable usage is 54,375 miles.

spirou - 2019-10-15 3:46 PM

Based on my experience with using winter tyres all year round (they were too worn out to be winter legal next season),

Plus the tyres where swapped so the three sets of winter tyres where on for maybe half the mileage.

145000km in 5 years using summer and winter sets. Of the 29k per year, I would estimate 10-15k were made on winter tyres and 15-20k on summer. Round it out to a lifetime of 40k for winter tyres (still enough thread for summer, not legal in winter) and 50-60 for summer tyres. If using winter tyres all year round I would expect 30k would be about max before they are worn beyond winter requirements.

Having used winter tyres on the car with 5mm of thread left before the summer, I was left with 3mm by the time I changed them ahead of next winter. That would have been about 1mm/10000km. But it's not just the mm that are a problem. The blocks/sipes were shredded in places, basically falling apart. That would have happened even with new tyres, making them much less useful in winter.

Archived