Wipers running when engine started

davidah

Hi

I was wondering whether anyone could help me with a problem I have with my 2003 Burstner Elegance i660 on a Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd.

When the ignition is turned on all is fine.

However when the engine is started the wipers start working.

If I drive off and accelerate they stop OK, but if I stop accelerating or change gear they operate again.

Everything else works fine and there are no lights coming up on the dashboard.

I would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks.

Davidah,

Welcome to the Forum.

Much has been written about the now infamous xxx250 Ducato engine earth strap, however while I am not an expert on Fiat VIN numbers, from the stated date of registration I would expect that the your vehicle is an xxx244, often abbreviated to x244.

The engine earthing of the x244 is entirely different to that of the x250 (2006 onwards). In the x244, the battery negative cable is earthed via a flag terminal on the RH front wing below the battery. The SAME cable continues under the rear edge of the radiator and is terminated on a starter motor stud at the clutch housing. Reports of engine earthing problems on the x244 series are rare.

However I do endorse the advice already given, to check the earth connections, with the addition of that for the column switch stalks.

In general it seems that the wiper motor, which is shown on eLearn as containing two relays (two speeds), is being started by a possible back feed, which may be due to a faulty earth connection, It seems that the increase in voltage with increase of engine speed negates the effect. This leads me to advise checking the starter battery voltage at tickover, and above 1500rpm.

May I request that you post details of the eventual cure in order to assist others.

Alan

Archived