Wirral Borough Council to try and resolve motorhome issues

Brock

The link below is from the local newspaper which gives fuller details but the snippets ...

'NUMEROUS' complaints about camper vans have sparked the council to take action against owners in Wirral.

The local authority is acting after receiving concerns from residents in New Brighton and Wallasey, citing the look of the vehicles and reports of waste being thrown into the sea.

... The information is included in the ‘management of camper vans at coastal locations’ document to be discussed by the council’s business overview and scrutiny committee on July 4.

...The coastal parking charges plans would see a £20 overnight fee,

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/16312972.residents-anger-over-camper-van-owners/

We have spent a few nights here In last 2years and its a great spot, but that's the problem, its too popular we thought it couldn't last and here we are the end is coming, but if the council think £20 is an appropriate

fee they are dreaming ,£8 as at st annes on sea is more like it.

The £20 overnight charge is only one element of the overall charging proposal.

The full report to members (on the council web site) suggests daytime charges of much less (£1 or £2) which is what would generate the income.

The reputation of motorhomes is made more difficult by the inconsiderate few who let their waste run all over roads, discard litter thoughtlessly and deposit their toilet effluent down street drains. We all know it happens so let's not pretend otherwise. It is no wonder local communities are fed up and complain to Councils about thoughtless behaviour. We could all start by behaving in a more considerate manner.

I am with the residents on this. Why should MH park up in car parks? If they can afford a MH, they should park in correct places. and pay. Why spoil others views, after all they are they ones paying the local rates. It only takes one to park and the rest follow like sheep. Proper aires will always be few in UK, we do not have the land like in France. I often wonder when driving through French villages, if any one actually lives in them.

PJay

Why is £20 expensive, if they put in empting facilities. etc?

Brock - 2018-06-26 7:44 AM

The link below is from the local newspaper which gives fuller details but the snippets ...

'NUMEROUS' complaints about camper vans have sparked the council to take action against owners in Wirral.

The local authority is acting after receiving concerns from residents in New Brighton and Wallasey, citing the look of the vehicles and reports of waste being thrown into the sea.

... The information is included in the ‘management of camper vans at coastal locations’ document to be discussed by the council’s business overview and scrutiny committee on July 4.

...The coastal parking charges plans would see a £20 overnight fee,

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/16312972.residents-anger-over-camper-van-owners/

Smacks of 'nimbyism' by the sounds of it to me. Their first concern is "the look of the vehicles" before waste which is rather odd.

Incidentally regarding waste, and i'm talking raw sewage, it's not unknown for it to be dumped off UK coasts as this report shows. Whether it's been sorted now no idea but fact is it's been done for years on much larger scale than a few mh's.

http://www.marinet.org.uk/campaign-article/continuing-sewage-pollution-of-beaches

As for £20 overnight parking....no chance. Nobody in their right mind will pay that. UK has a lot to learn about mh facilities from European countries where overnight parking is 'the norm', positively welcomed, and guess what......as a result customers spend money at the 24hr cafes/restaurants.

The dumping of raw sewage is a different matter and neither excuses the other.

There are all sorts of reasons why we don't have aires as on the continent, it being just one of the ways in which the UK is different.

One thing is for sure, every time a selfish motorhomer camps in a way which gives rise to complaints it is a plus for the anti-motorhome lobby and a constraint on those few who actually try to have constructive discussions with councils regarding provision of facilities.

• 1 month later...

This is the link to the draft minutes when the Council's Business Overview and Scrutiny Committee considered this issue.

https://democracy.wirral.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=44552

The two resolutions passed were:

Resolved (11:3) – That a ban on ‘Overnight Sleeping’ on the two cul-de-sacs of Kings Parade and Coastal Drive, Wallasey be introduced, if it is legally possible to do so, and that this be a recommendation to the Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport.

Resolved (14:0) – That a Working Party be established, to which all stakeholders be invited, to enable recommendations to be made to the Committee on the issue of campervans.

A day or so before the meeting to discuss the 'campervans issue', Wirral Borough Council decided to scrap plans to charge for parking at coastal locations across Wirral. Take your pick as to why; the Council says it was in response to the public consultation, others say the car parking charges brought in for the country parks "have caused chaos, misery and brought in miserable sums".

As a Wirral resident and motorhome owner the Council are very dodgy they 'consult' when it is convenient and use the results to 'justify' their actions,or chose to ignore them and carry on regardless. The installation of meters in the parks has been a complete waste of our money and some have been vandalised by injecting builders foam into the machines.

The Council consists of self serving gangsters in the form of senior officers and councillors.

Their parking policies have destroyed traditional shopping areas far better than any internet services!

Motorhomes will become more popular due to he change in licence requirements for towing so these issues will increase across the UK.

as residents we are located conveniently 2 hours driving and you can be in the Lake,Snowdonia and Peaks.

Wirral used to be the leisure peninsula not now!

Billggski - 2018-06-27 7:04 PM

On a beach car park this weekend, £8 entry and £10 to overnight.

8 mohos were willing to pay it.

£8 for a day at the beach is enough but justifiable if it is a nice beach, and it may well be easier to pay £10 to overnight rather than faff about wasting diesel and phone calls looking for a site if you don't have one to go to, so I can see the benefit - and if nothing else at least it gives the opportunity which in itself is quite rare!

There are already laws to prosecute litter louts.

When they blame it all on drivers of one type of vehicle and put height barriers in, they find the littering continues - because cars are not equipped with litter bins and self contained toilets.

PJay - 2018-06-27 5:37 PM

I am with the residents on this. Why should MH park up in car parks? If they can afford a MH, they should park in correct places. and pay. Why spoil others views, after all they are they ones paying the local rates. It only takes one to park and the rest follow like sheep. Proper aires will always be few in UK, we do not have the land like in France. I often wonder when driving through French villages, if any one actually lives in them.

PJay

Why is £20 expensive, if they put in empting facilities. etc?

So, its OK for YOU to do the overnighting in France !!!! Think you are a Hypocrite.

yeti - 2018-08-12 12:59 PM

As a Wirral resident and motorhome owner the Council are very dodgy they 'consult' when it is convenient and use the results to 'justify' their actions,or chose to ignore them and carry on regardless. The installation of meters in the parks has been a complete waste of our money and some have been vandalised by injecting builders foam into the machines.

The Council consists of self serving gangsters in the form of senior officers and councillors.

Their parking policies have destroyed traditional shopping areas far better than any internet services!

Motorhomes will become more popular due to he change in licence requirements for towing so these issues will increase across the UK.

as residents we are located conveniently 2 hours driving and you can be in the Lake,Snowdonia and Peaks.

Wirral used to be the leisure peninsula not now!

Hear hear, agree.

Yes its a gold rush making money out of what ever you can find. Residents parking zones. Speed cameras. Parking charges. Double yellow lines everywhere. Went to weston super mare yesterday only wanted 2 hours parking. 6 pounds minimum charge. Plus the pier is a pound to get on now. Flippin disgusting. People used to love just going on there and sitting down. Take every last pleasure away from people. Plus you cant have a wee anywhere without spending 20 p. Its a joke gone mad. Its like the 80s under thatcher but much worse.

I don't think £1 to go on the pier is unreasonable, but £3 an hour to park is excessive. Unless you live in Margate, where some of the council car parks are £4 an hour. I'm sure most people would happily pay £4 to get out of Margate, but £4 to park there is outrageous.

I don't want to start a political argument (honestly), but let that be a warning to anyone who might be tempted to vote for a UKIP led council.

Guest pelmetman
aandy - 2018-08-14 2:24 PM

pelmetman - 2018-08-14 2:21 PM

aandy - 2018-08-14 2:06 PM

I don't think £1 to go on the pier is unreasonable, but £3 an hour to park is excessive. Unless you live in Margate, where some of the council car parks are £4 an hour. I'm sure most people would happily pay £4 to get out of Margate, but £4 to park there is outrageous.

I don't want to start a political argument (honestly), but let that be a warning to anyone who might be tempted to vote for a UKIP led council.

Sounds like parking in a UKIP led council is cheaper than parking in the Labour led Wirral council ;-) .........

So perhaps folk should take that as warning to anyone who might be tempted to vote for a Labour led council >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2018-08-14 2:21 PM

aandy - 2018-08-14 2:06 PM

Sounds like parking in a UKIP led council is cheaper than parking in the Labour led Wirral council ;-) .........

So perhaps folk should take that as warning to anyone who might be tempted to vote for a Labour led council >:-) ...........

I'll give you that one. Were it the only choice I'd probably vote UKIP rather than Labour, but on balance I'd prefer the Monster Raving Loony Party to either of them.

Never been to margate but ill try and avoid it. As for the pier it burned down and they rebuilt it - with whos money i dont know. I asked the man on the turnstyle and he said it was a gas oven exploding. It was now run by a private company - hence the scam to get on there - and there was no re-admittance. So those strolls and somewhere to eat an ice cream have ended. It was a ghost town with no bustling vibe or sign of enjoyment. Thats privatisation for you.

A couple of important points in the op's link....“a proportion of people staying in the vans do take advantage of local shops, contributing to the local economy." Also on the alleged waste dumping in the sea, "council officers found no 'tangible evidence' of environmental crimes."

UK (at least England and Wales) is light years behind many European countries which welcome mh/campervan tourists. French Aires and Stellplatz in Germany are already well known via this and other m/h forums.

gp1 - 2018-08-14 2:56 PM

Never been to margate but ill try and avoid it. As for the pier it burned down and they rebuilt it - with whos money i dont know. I asked the man on the turnstyle and he said it was a gas oven exploding. It was now run by a private company - hence the scam to get on there - and there was no re-admittance. So those strolls and somewhere to eat an ice cream have ended. It was a ghost town with no bustling vibe or sign of enjoyment. Thats privatisation for you.

Margate pier, owned by the local council, blew down in a storm in 1978. What remained was demolished and it was never rebuilt. On balance, I'd rather have a privatised pier and pay £1 for the privilege of using it than have no pier at all.

Archived