Won't start.

Ninian

Hi, I'm sitting on a campsite and the van won't start. I have noticed that a warning triangle with an exclamation mark is staying on. The engine doesn't even turn over. Any ideas. I've sent for breakdown but looking for any guidance, the mechanic is coming back and wants to tow it. ???????

I'm sure others will posting soon who are better qualified, but 1st things 1st. What is the state of cab battery? Does the motorhome have a battery level meter, if not do you have a meter which you could place across the battery terminals. ( many motorhomes have their engine battery in a panel in front of the passenger seat) you should have at least 12 volts.

Failing that get the mechanic to check this for you and at the least ask him to try a " jump start" before accepting a tow.

Hi, Just checked the battery 12.2v on my test meter, he thought maybe that the immobiliser had kicked in, when he mentioned towing the vehicle to start it I queried that because I thought that was an no no. He scanned the van and no fault codes were showing. ??????

What is the make of the base vehicle?

Is the starter battery the original, or has it been changed?

Jump starting a MH can cause problems. As a minimum precaution, disconnect the habitation battery before trying to jump start. (If the split charge relay becomes operated, excessive currents may flow from the habitation battery.)

Can you check that the starter motor operating connection to the solenoid is at least physically intact, and not hanging loose? (It has happened.)

Take heart that this does not at the moment seem to be an immobiliser fault, so diagnosis should be relatively simple.

Do not be ripped off for replacement parts, from breakdown service.

12.2V is a bit on the low side for a starter battery. Can it be recharged from EHU? This will take several hours.

Alan

Hi, The mechanic that came out the second time started the van from a jump start by putting the leads straight on to the starter motor thus by-passing the system. I have now arrived home but took the van straight to the garage where I have left it. After parking it up and stopping the engine I tried a start and low and behold it started itself as normal. Tried it again and again it started. I've left it with the garage to investigate. Now that I'm in the house I've looked at the FIAT book and it says that the Amber Triangle is a Generic Failure Indication and is brought on by a Faulty Engine oil Sensor or Fuel cut off inertia switch tripped. When I get the van back I'll update this for future reference.

Thanks again.

If it jump started then there wasn't enough power in battery, AFAIK on a 2014 if the power is too low it won't even attempt to turn starter motor, but may be wrong.

Could be the battery is duf, or another common on Ducato is poor earth lead.

colin - 2021-06-16 6:56 PM

Could be the battery is duf, or another common (fault) on Ducato is poor earth lead.

Exactly what I was going to suggest!

There have been multiple threads on Ducato engine earth leads failing!

Keith.

The relevant Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook describes the triangle/exclamation-mark warning light as shown on the image attached below. A Fiat Professional agent should be able to ‘clear’ the light - though if there’s a ‘genuine’ fault, the light should be expected to reappear.

As has been advised above, fit a repacement (or additional) earth-strap. This cannot do any harm and might well successfully address the problem.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X250-2-3-Multijet-Earth-Strap/48885/

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/earth-strap-problems.php

393498445_genericfailure.thumb.png.a6e037b328127e7970c513ccdbae7d54.png

Hi, Went back to the garage this morning to speak to the mechanic and on checking the van the amber WARNING TRIANGLE has now cleared itself and it started no problem. ?????? Have re-booked it in for next week for investigation. Update will follow.

Its strange because the starting circuit seemed to be locked out. I think whatever brought the warning up has initiated the lock out.

Ninian - 2021-06-16 9:26 PM

Hi, Although it has since started twice on the key the AMBER triangle with the exclamation mark is still illuminated. The mechanic scanned the van and NO error codes were logged.

You have to do the scan with the engine running. The codes generated by the Generic Failure indication are "fugitive" and are wiped as soon as the engine is stopped. With the engine running the codes should be visible.

Hi Brian, Thanks for the reply, yeah the mechanic did the scan when the engine was stopped but as you say he wouldn't have seen anything anyway if they are wiped as soon as the engine is turned off. I'll get the garage to do a scan when I leave the van in next week. I intend starting the van every day between now and when I take it back to the garage to see if anything re-occurs.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Went to start the van today to take it for a run and it wouldn't start again, the AMBER triangle has returned. I noticed that the RED OIL CAN wasn't lighting so I presume that is the reason for the amber triangle to light. Does the amber triangle isolate the van from starting because it has seen that the oil can has not illuminated. Any advice appreciated.

I had an intermittent starting problem on my Hymer 2,8 JTD when I had it ,I would turn the key, all lights on dash would illuminate, but further turning the key to fire the engine and nothing happened, I stopped the engine once on a busy dual carriageway which was stationary for long periods before moving a few feet and stopping again, I was in the outside lane ,and when I turned the key to restart nothing , NOTHING EEKKKK I was the most unpopular man on the road that day, I managed to eventually roll back into the side of the road as I was on a small hill, hazards going and other motorist not being any help whatsoever, what is wrong with people ? any way I tried restarting again and still nothing, so I called the RAC who eventually arrived to help, I explained the problem to the Patrol Man and turned the key to show him and hey presto the engine fired and the van started, , must be the Solenoid he said the starter motor is enlivened but the solenoid is not throwing the starter Gog and engaging with the starter ring,

Well that was it , as soon as I got home I took the starter motor off bought a new one and fitted it and no more problems, I blame myself here as I left it too long to get a fix, what I had done was to make up a cable with cable clips each end and when the problem manifested its self I would get under the van with the cable clipped to the live on the battery and touch the other end to the small cable on the top of the starter motor which would cause a loud click and then, I could start the engine normaly , STUPID I know but that did not work on the last breakdown so time for a proper fix Hee Hee,

I had a starting problem begin on my now Chausson 2.8 JTD again , when I turned the key the orange warning light would illuminate and it meant that the key had not been recognised, that was due to the battery being to low in power it seemed , so I bought a new battery and fitted that, [Fitting the battery was easy/ hard as getting the old one out was difficult and then getting the new one back in was just as difficult] I lost a bit of blood in the process but that is a norm when I start work, I cannot work wearing gloves , Any way the new battery solved the problem , I think the old battery was about 10 years old , so it was due for a change I thought hee hee.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, PROBLEM SOLVED. Auto electrician came today and sorted it. He traced the problem very quickly to non continuity in the EARTH STRAP to the engine. I had it replaced about a year ago by a company but the amount of corrosion under the terminal was creating a HIGH RESISTANCE on the cable. He wire brushed it away and refitted it covered it in grease and now OK. Happy days. Relieved.!!!!

Archived